What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently installed Dropbox but not really sure how it works I don't find it user friendly, if you have shared a file with someone how do you know it's shared ?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First, you should have Dropbox installed on your main computer as well as on the iPad... If you just have it on the iPad It's not that useful.

I use Dropbox as an easy method to 'put' PDF and Word files on my iPad. I copy them to the Dropbox folder on the main computer.. Then, when I open Dropbox on my iPad, I can read them using iPad apps. There is an option in the iPad Dropbox to "Open With".. I open PDF files with the Adobe reader app and I open Word files with the 'GoodReader' app. Once you've opened a document, that document gets 'uploaded' to the iPad and is always there to read when you're offline..

As far as sharing... When you install Dropbox on your main computer, you should see a PDF document explaining how to use it.. There are instructions there on how to set up a public directory where you can share files with friends...

OP
murphy608

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah .. I see

If that's the case it's not going to work for what I want , MSN in closing and I wanted an app that worked in the same manner ie others that I select being able to see & share what I allow

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
murphy608 said:
Ah .. I see

If that's the case it's not going to work for what I want , MSN in closing and I wanted an app that worked in the same manner ie others that I select being able to see & share what I allow

Dropbox will "share" certain files and folders with others, you just have to set each "share" up in Dropbox. Have not tried it via the iPad app, but the PC and web interfaces work well.

OP
murphy608

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only have a notebook and an iPad and Dropbox is on iPad will it work on a notebook ??

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
murphy608 said:
Only have a notebook and an iPad and Dropbox is on iPad will it work on a notebook ??

Sure will! There are Dropbox versions for all Windows and also Macs.

This first pic shows how to share a single file from the iPad app:

image-2672854944.jpg

Can copy the link, or choose any of the above mentioned methods, including email.

image-4227824497.jpg

This one shows what a folder looks like if it is shared with someone else (who also has Dropbox).

Most reactions

Latest posts