What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox VS SugarSync

Tagged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research into cloud storage recently for two reasons: 1.) I experienced my first hard drive failure and 2.) I am a treasurer of a non profit with no physical location so we needed to find a way to store and share our documents.

I started off just looking at Dropbox vs Sugarsync. I got turned onto a few more and have listed if they work with Macs, PCs, iPhones (iPads) and/or andriod devices.

Disclaimer:
I am going to include links that contain referral codes in them. Most of the services reviewed give 10 to 50% bonuses to the amount of space you get when you are referred as apposed to visiting their sites directly. Most of the services have a maximum amount of space that they will grant you so yes, i will get some free space from click thrus of this post but I will or am maxed out in the bonus space available to me already so I am including the referral links to benefit you as well. All details are covered below. Ok, ready?

SugarSync
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux (via Wine), iPhone, Android + more
Pricing:
5.5Gb with Free Account
40Gb $4.99/month (30 day free trial)
70Gb $9.99/month (30 day free trial)
110Gb $14.99/month (30 day free trial)
Referral Bonus: 500Mb/free account, 10Gb/paid Account, No Max!
Whats different: While Linux is not natively supported there is a work around. Can easily stream videos & music, does a real nice job with photo albums, can post to Facebook with a click. Also sharing is awesome! You can post public links (think Rapid Share) except others do not need an account nor are there download limits or wait times. You can share files & folders with and without passwords with others. Great to use in a small business environment! Web based file manipulation is also a nice bonus. Can email files in to be backed up. You also can get email reports to file and folder activity that is shared.

DropBox
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone, Android + more
Pricing:
2.25Gb with Free Account
50Gb $9.99/month
100Gb $19.99/month
Referral Bonus: 250Mb/free account, 8Gb Max
Whats different: One of the most common of the group. Has a Linux client. Can share links with people to share specific files with people. 10Gb/day or 250Gb/day for paid account limit for public file downloads.

Memopal
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux (beta), iPhone, iPad
Pricing:
3.5Gb with Free Account
200Gb 49€/year
Referral Bonus: 500Mb/free account (no max listed)
Whats different: Not USA based, but USA supported. Can install on 10 computers with personal account. Can share a file, it basically uploads and emails end user with link to file.

Spideroak
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux
Pricing:
3Gb with Free Account
100Gb $10/month
Referral Bonus: 1Gb per referral (3Gb max bonus for free accounts, 20Gb max bonus for paid accounts)!
Whats different: Files are compressed before being uploaded and are uploaded encrypted. This saves you both bandwidth making your transfers quicker and allowing you to save more data within your plan. You can also share files & folders with exactly who you want to.

iDrive
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux (ibackup - no free accounts)
Pricing:
5Gb with Free Account (1 computer limit)
150Gb $4.95/month (1 computer limit)
500Gb $14.95/month (5 computer limit)
Referral Bonus: No signup bonuses. Affiliate program, 25% of revenue from referred accounts
Whats different: 2 clicks to start backing up the most common files. Supports backing up mapped and external hard drives as well. Web access to files. iDrive can also keep up to 30 versions of a file for you.

Box.net
Compatibility: Windows, iPhone, Android, BB
Pricing:
5Gb with Free Account (25mb file size limit)
25Gb $9.99/month (1Gb file size limit)
50Gb $19.99/month (1Gb file size limit)
Referral Bonus: None found
Whats different: Personal accounts severly limited in features, Business accounts have $15/month/user fees. Google apps integration. Stats and tracking of files.

CrashPlan
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris
Pricing:
Free backup to another local computer
$54/year for 1 computer, unlimited space
$100/year for all family computers, unlimited space
Referral Bonus: None found
Whats different: Crashplan also uses smart compression to upload your files. When a file changes it only updates the changed part. If you do not need online backup, it can automate backing up to another local computer or external hard drive that is on site. Transfers are also done encrypted. Bandwidth is throttled to watch your activity, putting your computer to work when you are not working on it.

Carbonite
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Pricing:
$54.95/year
Referral Bonus: No referral bonus (Affiliate Program managed by Commission Junction)
Whats different: Unlimited backup space! Access to files via internet. Cannot share files/folders.

Mozy.com - very similar to Carbonite, $54.45/year or $4.95/month options
Jungledisk.com/personal/ - $2/month for 5Gb - $3/month 5Gb free then $.15/Gb (rackspace cloud files)
Syncplicity.com - 2Gb Free only, 2 computers only
one.ubuntu.com - 2Gb Free. 20Gb for 2.99/month. Windows install in beta
Wuala.com - 1Gb free. Interesting option to trade storage on you machine for storage on other machines. Have an extra 100Gb disk on all the time? Use it to earn 100Gb of storage on the cloud.

In the end I favor SugarSync because of the advanced sharing options and plans available. While a linux client is not directly available, using Wine seems to work fine.

Get it here:

OP
T

Tagged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news tho for SugarSync users! They have extended their bonus sign up offers. Get 500Mb more free with a free account (5.5Gb) or get 10Gb bonus with a paid account (40Gb for 4.99/month!)

If you go paid account, or think you will upgrade start off witht he paid account and their 30 day free trial. That way it you keep the account you get the 10Gb bonus. You do not get the 10Gb bonus if you start off with a free account and upgrade it.

Most reactions

Latest posts