What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox/SugarSync Document Syncing with JB

aquadan88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thepynebros.com
Hey,
I'm new to Jailbreaking, and am looking for a few key features, but don't really know where to start. My main gripe about the iPad (coming from an Android phone) is the inability for apps to recognize and utilize other apps. There are two situations that I find this would be incredibly useful.

On my Android phone, I can open up SugarSync, download a document from my PC, and it will open in a word processing app. I can edit that document, then I can save that document to my SD card. I can then choose to upload that document via SugarSync from either inside the app, or via a file browser. This can not be done in iOS to my knowledge, or at least in a way that I have found.

My second scenario is say I take a picture with my phone. Android then figures out what apps I have installed, then lets me share that picture in multiple ways; Twitter, Facebook, Seesmic, SMS, Email, etc. This can be done with multiple file types right through the OS.

I was wondering if someone could help me out in finding a way to do either of these (more importantly the first one) by Jailbreaking.

I am also wondering if there are any other places to get apps for Jailbroken iPads other than the Cydia store. I find it very hard to navigate, and very confusing.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

fredsmith219

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AquaDan,
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but both Quickoffice and DocsToGo support "cloud storage". I use both Google Docs and DropBox. I can edit a file in DropBox on my PC, save it, open it up in Quickoffice on my iPad, edit it some more, etc... Using Google Docs works the same way. If this is what you're after, no need to jailbreak.

I just checked, and both Quickoffice and Docs To Go support SugarSync as well as DropBox and Google Docs.

I do not know if the Apple office apps support those syncing solutions, but they were a non-starter with me since they don't support MS Office formats anyway.

HTH.

OP
aquadan88

aquadan88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thepynebros.com
Thanks. The Docs To Go is just what I was looking for. I had purchased Pages a week ago, and was frustrated about how to get the docs back and forth. The editing interface on Docs to Go isn't as nice as Pages, but I think its a small sacrifice to make.

Most reactions

Latest posts