What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox iPAD File Location

Lstclair55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to use dropbox to sync pdf files from our office computer to an ipad.

Then a database field on an app on the ipad will link t the pdf files within the ipad.

However what I need to know if what the folder structure / file path is for dropbox so I can create the relevant file path in my database to link to the right file.

Anyone have any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the Mac: /Users/username/Dropbox/

On Windows 7: C:\Users\UserName\Dropbox\

Forgot how long it takes the netbook to boot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why would you need that? Dropbox on the iPad will automatically sync with the Dropbox folder on the computer. That's what is is all about.

Besides I don't know. :D

There is a program called iPhone Explorer, both OSX and Windows versions. You can use that to explore an iPad with Dropbox installed on it, though I don't see what good it will do you. Other apps on the iPad won't be able to access it (unless it's a Jailbreake app), and there is no point in doing it from the computer when it will already sync without needing a script (as long as it has an internet connection).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do have to agree with the poet, because I'm not sure how you will put this to any good use (DropBox on iPad does not sync all the files onto a local folder automatically like its desktop cousins), however, I always like to answer a question if I know the answer, so the path to the cached files (any ones the user has clicked on to force a download) is...

/var/mobile/Applications/0E1917AD-365A-4608-8B7B-AB215E857531/Library/Caches

The string in the middle is the unique identifier for the DropBox app on the iPad. It is easier to locate using iFile and turning on the view option for "Application Names'.

Hope this helps... :)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also agree, the path will serve no purpose as unfortunately the 'documents' folder unlike other apps 'documents' folder just holds a consolidated database, which cannot be edited.

OP
Lstclair55

Lstclair55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, probably need to explain what I am doing.

I will be using the Cellica database app that syncs with our server over the air for tracking peoples feedback on what they think to houses we show them around.

I would like to be able to over air download the pdf brochures of the houses they are going to be shown round, so that the agent can research the houses thoroughly before hand.

Therefore, I want to sent particular borchures to the ipad over the air on a particular day and the Cellica database program has a hyperlink field linking to the file on the ipad to open the pdf file.

The pdf's will be changed everyday, so the old ones will need to be removed and new ones added.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, you are not going to be able to do it the way you are describing. There is no way for one app to hyperlink to a document in another app. Each app's documents are held in their own (sand boxed) file directories. There is no central file system for the sharing of files.

That's why DropBox is so popular. It's a central repository where apps (that support it) can share files. But it is online. You can link to the URL, but not to the file on the iPad.

I think what you need is a two pronged attack. Store your brochures in the shared folder of DropBox. From here you can get a URL for each files online location. Go ahead and place that URL in the database. Even if there is no direct way of downloading the file using a link in the database (and there may be, I'm too lazy to read that entire manual), you should still be able to copy and paste the URL to one of several programs that can. GoodReader would be an excellent choice.

GoodReader can also go directly to the DropBox account and upload/download files. That way your field people would be able to grab any brochures they need, even if something gets mixed up in the database or they have sudden changes in itinerary.

If you want to force a brochure to the field, you can use the same URL to email the pdf to the individual's iPad. They can then tap the URL to open the pdf in Safari, and then use the Open In feature to view it in one of a variety of apps (if local storage and more features are needed). Again, I recommend GoodReader.

You were talking about scripts. Without knowing anything more about what the database is capable of (on the server side), it may be possible to set up scripts that would place the brochure in DropBox on the server, copy the URL to the database field, and mail the URL/attachment to the field with a single command, or whatever.

What you are not going to be able to do is force a file to automatically download on the iPad and then be linked in another app. Well, you could probably do this if your wrote your own app, but I don't' know of any other way to do it.

It is possible that your database app on the iPad will recognize URL links and let you open them in Safari. I don't know, but it's worth exploring. That would save a step or two.

OP
Lstclair55

Lstclair55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the time and effort that you have put into your response to me.

It has certainly confirmed what I was going to do was in fact the best solution.

We did look at getting our own app developed, but were given prices of £4000 - £5000.

With the solution of the Cellica database, the app and license costs will amount to £375.00 and does everything we need apart from having a local copy of the pdf available on the device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, good luck with the project. I think we would all be interested in hearing how things go. There are bound to be more people who need/want similar solutions. And I'm just curious that way. :)

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have to agree with the poet, because I'm not sure how you will put this to any good use (DropBox on iPad does not sync all the files onto a local folder automatically like its desktop cousins), however, I always like to answer a question if I know the answer, so the path to the cached files (any ones the user has clicked on to force a download) is...

/var/mobile/Applications/0E1917AD-365A-4608-8B7B-AB215E857531/Library/Caches

The string in the middle is the unique identifier for the DropBox app on the iPad. It is easier to locate using iFile and turning on the view option for "Application Names'.

Hope this helps... :)

I have recently installed dropbox on my pc, with Microsoft XP and my iPad
After some suoecessful transfers of PDF files to my iPad, it stopped transferring additional files. They show up on my dropbox Internet home page but will not transfer to my iPad - I need help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have recently installed dropbox on my pc, with Microsoft XP and my iPad
After some suoecessful transfers of PDF files to my iPad, it stopped transferring additional files. They show up on my dropbox Internet home page but will not transfer to my iPad - I need help

Have you tried restarting the iPad?

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox

I have tried shutting down my iPad but no luck. Dropbox ail still not send files to my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts