What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivers?

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a new Ipad 1 and when I connect it to my laptop - running vista - it will not find the drivers needed to see the Ipad. I have connected it to a machine running Win 7 and it works fine.
It sits on the screen with the picture of the cable saying update Itunes then just goes off.
Apart from buying a Mac how do I fix this? Where can I download the drivers for Vista it is looking for? etc etc Help please!

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest iTunes on the win vista machine and try again. I had no issues on xp, vista, win7 or Mac osx

OP
D

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I have 10.4 Itunes on already which is the latest as far as I can tell. The Win 7 machine has the same Itunes version as this and that had no problems, it seems to be more a Vista/driver to physically recognise the Ipad ?

Last edited:

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check this from apple support as well...

Third-party software conflicts

Some third-party software (such as security software, anti-virus software, and webcam drivers) may prevent iTunes from recognizing your iPad. You may have to update your software, adjust software settings, or temporarily disable the software.

In Windows, MSCONFIG is used to troubleshoot conflicting software. For assistance using MSCONFIG, select from the following:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2292

OP
D

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the cable that came with it and also have tried another one plus each other usb port but still no joy. Will give the other things a go now thanks.

OP
D

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Followed that link but still no joy.

After trying to install the drivers it says that it had found the driver but had trouble installing it, it calls the device a 'Digital Still Camera' and the specific file could not be found.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are connected directly to the USB in the pc or to a USB hub? That can be a variable as well.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So did you perform the initial synchronisation to your Windows 7 machine? If so, why do you want to connect it to the Vista PC? iPads don't like being synchronised to more than one PC - it unleashes all sorts of problems.

Tim

OP
D

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this to test that there was not a problem with the Ipad. The Win 7 machine is not mine so it was only used to confirm that the Ipad works. The Ipad is working fine but just will not connect to the vista machine.

OP
D

divergary123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it was on the Win 7 one it did go through the installation set up and I used my details to log on through itunes to register it etc. The problem is that when I now try it on my vista machine it has no driver installed, when it goes looking for it it comes back with one for a camera device which then of course will not load as it is the wrong driver so I can not connect it to my machine, see it in my computer or do anything to it at all

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Could it be possible that you are using a win7 32 bits and a Vista 64bits? I've read somewhere that itunes can be difficult under the 64 bits setup. But since you also mentionned that the ipad is not properly detected as a digital camera, it would guess at these:

- anti-virus is preventing the operation
- make sure you are an admin and not a restricted user
- is there any other usb device connected? If so, disconnect everything, leaving only the ipad
- your usb port is not providing enough power to the ipad (i have that issue on a desktop running winxp pro)
- Vista is broken (I know, it's Vista, but I mean your setup)
- iTune setuo is corrupted, uninstall and reinstall

One place to have some more infor would be to look at the event manager of Vista to see if a component is reporting an error...

VicoPad addict!

DeDove4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem and I'm running Vista 64-bit. I've performed all the same troubleshooting antics and no joy. Is it impossible? :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts