What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloads/Updates downloading very slowly?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ever since the store re-opened after the holidays, my downloads and updates have been going extremely slowly. What used to take a few seconds to download, now takes several minutes. And what used to take several minutes, now takes close to an hour.

Is this happening to everyone or is it just me?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not experienced that on iOS 5.1.1 or iOS 6.0.1. (I have devices on both.) I've been updating and downloading without prob.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Ever since the store re-opened after the holidays, my downloads and updates have been going extremely slowly. What used to take a few seconds to download, now takes several minutes. And what used to take several minutes, now takes close to an hour.

Is this happening to everyone or is it just me?

Have you tried a restart of your iPad? Press and hold the home and power buttons simultaneously until the apple logo appears, then release. Let us know if it works.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I try that, it just shuts off. Am I doing something wrong?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I try that, it just shuts off. Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you are pressing the power switch and home button until you see the white apple logo. It will than turn off. You may be pressing the power button first and inadvertently putting it to sleep.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I think I successfully did a restart now. I guess I wasnt holding the buttons down long enough. Unfortunately the problem continues. I am at work right now and I cant even get my ipad to connect to our wifi network, which is strange because it connected earlier but wouldnt download anything.

The only other thing I can think of is that my ipad fell from the arm of my easy chair and landed on the legs of my desk chair. It was only about a foot drop and it was in a protective case at the time.

Is it possible that the drop ended up damaging something inside that would cause such a problem? If so, what would be damaged and how much would it cost to repair?

Can an Apple store repair it or would I need to mail it to Apple?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I think I successfully did a restart now. I guess I wasnt holding the buttons down long enough. Unfortunately the problem continues. I am at work right now and I cant even get my ipad to connect to our wifi network, which is strange because it connected earlier but wouldnt download anything.

The only other thing I can think of is that my ipad fell from the arm of my easy chair and landed on the legs of my desk chair. It was only about a foot drop and it was in a protective case at the time.

Is it possible that the drop ended up damaging something inside that would cause such a problem? If so, what would be damaged and how much would it cost to repair?

Can an Apple store repair it or would I need to mail it to Apple?

That I am not sure, but may or could be a possibility.

When you get home, try to connect it to your computer and see if the updates can at least load in that manner.

However, if it continues--you might consider taking it in and having it checked out by one of the Apple Geniuses.

Most reactions