What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading Music

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I emailed myself some mp3 files and they played fine in iPad while the files were still in the Mail App Inbox. However, I was not able to transfer any of the files to either iMovie or iTunes or iPod Apps. What is wrong here?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you get an Open In option in the mail client? The same thing happens when you receive a PDF. After viewing it, you need to tap the Open In icon in the upper right to transfer it to another application.

iOS "sandboxes" applications to protect one program (or the os) from viruses and such.

Posted with TapaTalk for iPhone

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Bill. My screen shows four icons on the upper right (with email selected). Left to right, they are:
1. Move to mailbox
2. Delete
3. Reply, forward, print
4. New Message

None of these seem to be an "Open-In" icon. :confused:

Where is it?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello JCHunter - your post was of interest to me - :)

I sent myself a MP3 file and then open the Mail app on the iPad - the file was present & downloaded to the iPad and played fine; I then pressed on the file and a menu was produced allowing a number of options (which of course depended on what apps where on the device) - one choice was to open in GoodReader which I did - could again play from there; I deleted the email and the file would still play from the app mentioned.

Now I've not proceeded further into getting this file into the appropriate musical app on the iPad but at least it was saved to the iPad.

Not sure if this was of much help since I usually just sync music to my iPod Touch - and would do the same w/ the iPad if I wanted the music on 2 devices. Looking forward to additional posts - will come in handy! :D

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I tap the mp3 file icon, it immediately starts playing the music. The screen has playback controls but no other file movement controls. Holding the icon for 2-3 seconds does the same thing.:confused:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way, AFAIK, to actually get music specifically into the iPod app on the iPad is via iTunes. You can use the "Open In..." function to open/play music in a lot of other apps, but not in the iPod app.

It's a quirk of Apple's, I guess.

Marilyn

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No offiicial ios app will do this. Only if jb...ifile will psuedo import song into iPod app...

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My immediate need is to get the music into iMovie but I can't even do that. somehow Open-in is not enabled in my iPad.:confused:

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jchunter said:
My immediate need is to get the music into iMovie but I can't even do that. somehow Open-in is not enabled in my iPad.:confused:

No pop up menu shows when holding finger on attachment?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Open In will only show up for an attachment if there is a compatible app available. The iPod and iMovie apps do not register as being compatible with music files. Yes, I know tha seems odd, but that's the way it is.

iMovie can only import music that is available in the iPod app. It can not be saved directly to iMove. Normally the only way to get music into the iPod app is to sync it though iTunes. There are third party apps, and as was mentioned in a previous post you can get around it with a jailbreak tweak.

BTW, you do not have to actually sync with iTunes to copy music to your device using it. You can simply drag the music file straight to the iPad under the device list; or so I'm told. I've never actually done it myself.

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed GoodReader, which was identified as being compatible with mp3 files (above) but it does not cause the Open in menu to appear. Is there a way to get goodreader to open the mp3 file?

This whole situation is bizarre. I should be able to select and open the app that I want and then point it at the data file that I want it to open. Instead, it seems I have to rely on the OS to "broker" a marriage deal wherein it pre-judges the suitability of the union. :D. Clearly a squishy design concept... :confused:

IMHO, files belong in a File System, where any app can get them...

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I installed Goodwriter, which was identified as being compatible with mp3 files (above) but it does not cause the Open in menu to appear. Is there a way to get goodwriter to open the mp3 file?

This whole situation is bizarre. I should be able to select and open the app that I want and then point it at the data file that I want it to open. Instead, it seems I have to rely on the OS to "broker" a marriage deal wherein it pre-judges the suitability of the union. :D. Clearly a squishy design concept... :confused:

IMHO, files belong in a File System, where any app can get them...

That's because of the sandbox environment with iOS. That files from one app can't mingle with another app thus preventing iOS viruses'

Are you referring to goodreader instead of goodwriter? After installing goodreader, did you reboot?

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I meant GoodReader and did restart after installing. The GoodReader instructions even mention the Open-In technique for directing the file to an app but it doesn't work for me. There seems to be other more complicated (geeky) methods for bypassing this logjam. I willl have to study them.

Bottom line: Hardly the smooth, easy, and intuitive GUI that Apple is known for...:(

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, as has already been stated several times, Apple is well known for this sandboxing in iOS. It's why you don't need an antivirus software or app on an iPhone or iPad.

Mistress of Mischief

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the main topic of getting music files into iPad 2 apps, I was able to get Open-In to work for a wmv video file that had been emailed to me. I opened it in GoodReader, which had the good manners to notify me that it could not process wmv files. Good enough.

So now, I suspect there is a bug in the code associated with Open-In processing for mp3 files. How can I get tech support to take a serious look at this problem?

Meanwhile, I need a workable method to bring music files from the PC into iMovie (for iPad 2). Is mp3 the right encoding? Does anyone have a workaround for the Open-In problem?

Most reactions

Latest posts