What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading Movies? how long?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am downloading a movie to my Mac to transfer over on my iPad-to watch on a plane trip.

I get apx 1mbps in download time. I am bad at math.

How long should a 1.87gb movie take to download? I've been at it now for over 12 hours. (Gawd I hope I didn't click to down load the hd movie...that is 4.38gb.)

This kind of a download time is certainly not conducive to DLing movies.

And for those of you who are good at story problems, THANK YOU! for doing the math for me. If you give me a formula I promise to write it down so I don't have to ask next time.

Happy HO ho.
CM

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1mbps = about 120KBps

So, assuming you are maxing out your connection speed with the download, and assuming you did select the 4.38GB movie your download should take 10 hours. So it sounds like your connection speed isn't being maxed out.

Do you have a download bar/percentage or anything to show what progress has been made?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It typically takes about 10 to 20 minutes for me to transfer movies to my iPad, once they have been ripped and converted from DVD. Sounds like you have a very slow connection somewhere.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He's saying that he is currently downloading the movie from the internet and once it is finished he will transfer it to his iPad.

So the problem is his internet connection speed, not the connection to his iPad.

OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the download page is telling me is: "1.87gb of 1.87gb - processing file"

I think its hung up somewhere. I'm going to pust stop and see if I can get it going again?

THanks.
CM

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He's saying that he is currently downloading the movie from the internet and once it is finished he will transfer it to his iPad.

So the problem is his internet connection speed, not the connection to his iPad.

Ah, well I can usually watch a high def movie over Netflix without issue. Netflix says their HD starts at 2.2mbps, which would mean around 2GB for a two hour movie. So if he is taking 12 hours for a 4GB movie, something is still very slow. Even 3G should do it in less time than that.

Walker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow 12hours for a movie download!! You need to start using newsgroups. I usually download at 2.3mbps or 2300kbps. For a file about 7GB it takes 40minutes

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use newsgroups as well, I've got fiber optic internet and my download speed on newsgroups is constantly about 8MB per second. So a 7GB file takes about 14 minutes.

Gotta love Japanese technology. :)

jodeyk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is newsgroups? I'm surprised it can be used with an apple product.

Most reactions

Latest posts