What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading in south africa

Nawaaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, sorry i think i placed my question in the wrong forum, i'm new:)
How do i download free games and things in south africa. I find all these cool games online for free but when i try to download, ipad flips to itunes and message pops up: cannot complete request. Whats up with this?
Where can i download free games?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of questions? Do you have an iTunes account? You need an account even to be able to download the free games. To do this, you will need to supply them with a valid credit card - again, if you only ever want to download free games.

In order to validate your credit card iTunes will charge it a nominal amount (usually about $1) and then immediately (assuming the charge is successful) re-credit the account again. A number of members have noticed this charge/credit process and have questioned it but it's simply a means by which iTunes can validate your credit card account.

Once you have a valid account (i.e. Username and Password) you should be good to go in the App Store - for as many free games as you want! Your iPad will still ask for your Username and Password each time you buy a new game/app.

I hope I've understood your problem correctly, if there's still a problem, just let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Enjoy your iPad and have fun.

Tim
Scotland

OP
N

Nawaaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks tim. I do have an account and have been able to download some games from the itunes store. The problem comes in when i search for free games on google and try to download from there, the screen flips to itunes, preparing as if to download, but then a message pops up: request cannot be completed

Is this a region problem maybe? Because i can't seem to download any free games i find on google

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can download your games to iTunes and then sync to the iPad but this is making life difficult for yourself. If you find the name of a free game that you like using Google, then not the name of the game and go to iPad's 'App Store' app and search for that game from there. Then you can download it directly to your iPad without all the hassle of involving iTunes.

You are right, there are some region issues - I know several apps that are available in the US but not in the UK iPad app store; I think this has to do with copyright issues.

Good Luck

Tim
Scotland

deanwmills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there.

I'm also from south africa and also experience that problem. Its a bit annoying. I also think its the copyright that they don't allow it in south africa.

I've tried to download it on my pc with Itunes, but still it says something like 'not allowed in your country' ...
Can't we edit our region or do something so that the download will work?

Thanks

carols

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about the region issues,maybe you can go to the apple to ask for some help.
Any other ways for your native to get the itunes download service maybe.
Good luck,.

deanwmills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks alot.

Last question.

Do you think i'm allowed to change my region from South Africa to UK or US? and will I then be able to download the apps on the UK or US store?

deanwmills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I can change my 'region' on my Apple ID Account from South Africa to UK? Eventhough I am living in South Africa...?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many Members have multiple iTunes accounts. There's no need to have a credit card to open an iTunes account in another country - you just need a Gift Cardd in the currency of that country. You can purchase these easily on the Internet - certainly for the UK and US - and, since you only need the code number of the card and not the physical card itself, the retailer emails you that code and you're good to go in minutes...

Tim

deanwmills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the info.

But because my account region is set to South Africa, I'm only allowed to download apps that is on the South Africa App Store. So I want to download free apps that is available on the US App Store, but not South African App Store. If I change my region to US, will I be able to download those free apps thats ONLY available on the US App Store?

Thanks for your replies

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can have as many iTunes accounts as you want. At any one moment in time, the iPad can only be logged into one iTunes account, but you can simply log out of your SA account and into to, say, your US account to download those US apps that you want. Then you can log out of your US account and back into your SA account. Of course, you won't see any pending updates for the apps that you downloaded from the US until you're logged into the US account. So, if you want to check for updates, you'll have to occasionally log into the US account.

I know Members who have four iTunes accounts. For example, in Belgium, the iTunes store has no movies (!) so that Member opened a UK iTunes account and has had no trouble at all downloading movies and apps from the UK store.

Tim

deanwmills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks alot Tim. It works 100% and I am enjoying alot of cool apps now. Appreciate it !!!!

Rustyruthven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Payment option "none"

I followed the instructions only to discover that the option of selecting none as your payment method, under a united states account, has been removed. Is there a workaround for this? Or do you simply have to have a credit card for a united states account now?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there-i just set my mom's iPad with an Apple ID account and it showed the "none" option under the credit cards.

Are you creating a new ID account aside from your other one?

Most reactions

Latest posts