What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading file and then moving it to a Win laptop

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched for an answer to this but have come up with nothing so far.

I'm away from home on holiday in Italy. I need to upgrade an application on my windows laptop.

However, the only Internet connectivity I have is through my iPad.

I have downloaded the file I need to the iPad but I can't find any way of getting it off the iPad and on to the laptop.

I have an iPad to USB cable and an iPad Camera Kit.

Any thoughts,
RzB

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the laptop the one to which you regularly sync the iPad to? Cause maybe you can connect the iPad and then go to the App tab. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and see if the app that you used to download the file to shows as one that can be synced. If it is, maybe the file is there and you can drag it out of the iPad that way?

That's just one thought - its HARD thinking of how to get stuff to a computer without Internet or WiFi! I'll think a bit more on it and hopefully, someone else will come along who might have an idea...

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Many thanks for your response.

No - I normally sync the iPad with my desktop at home.

I actually downloaded the file using safari - just clicked on a download link on a web page.

Why oh why is this so difficult - its pretty basic stuff - hmmm...

RzB

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi RzB,

I don't suppose you have iExplorer installed on your laptop?, if you did you should be able to connect your iPad with the cable to the laptop and get the file that way.

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - unfortunately I don't have that on my laptop.

Is there perhaps an app for the iPad that will allow me to transfer to an SD card using the Camera Kit?

Thanks for your help,
RzB

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm ... So do I take that this is just not doable?

Perhaps I'll try Apple support - I'll report back here what I find out..

RzB

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why oh why is this so difficult - its pretty basic stuff - hmmm
The difficulty is due, apparently, to an iOS design choice made by apple.

To my knowledge, this is not doable with core iOS capability, camera connection kits, or usb cables. Perhaps there is an app out there that can solve the problem, but this will likely depend on the type of file. No doubt some will come here and say that you can do this if you jailbreak your device (giving you access to the file structure).

What is the file type? When you downloaded the file, how did you confirm it is on the iPad? Can you somehow see the file on your iPad? If you can see the file, try pressing and holding the file icon. Does this give you the option to "open in"?

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re: downloading files and transferring them

The difficulty is due, apparently, to an iOS design choice made by apple.

To my knowledge, this is not doable with core iOS capability, camera connection kits, or usb cables. Perhaps there is an app out there that can solve the problem, but this will likely depend on the type of file. No doubt some will come here and say that you can do this if you jailbreak your device (giving you access to the file structure).

What is the file type? When you downloaded the file, how did you confirm it is on the iPad? Can you somehow see the file on your iPad? If you can see the file, try pressing and holding the file icon. Does this give you the option to "open in"?

*** use I downloader or other app then sync go to apps in iTunes and under shareable
You should see your app to transfer to your computer
** if it's a PDF file just click download and open in I books or bookman it will save it there
And you can add books without syncing
Hope this helps!

Most reactions

Latest posts