downloading books

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by leda, Jan 12, 2011.

1. leda

leda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello I am new at this just got an ipad can someone advise me which is the best site to download books .. looking at ePad library Ipad library The Novel network ....or is there something better ... thank you
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The "biggie" in terms of selection is the Kindle app from Amazon. The app is free, btw. And while the actual reader app is only average, the selection of books from Amazon can not be matched by anyone.

There are also free readers from Barnes & Noble and Borders. There are also several good readers for reading "generic" electronic publications such as Stanza and GoodReader.
  3. Jeeper

Jeeper iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'm also looking for books. Any sights that include brief descriptions? Like you find on the rear cover (when browsing in an actual book store). I rarely know exactly what I'm looking for :)
  4. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Amazon's website gives these descriptions, plus many reader comments. You can download free samples to try out. Then Amazon bombards you with recommendations for similar books, bit sometimes this is useful for finding out about new books. Subscribe to the blog Books On the Knob for news on free and low priced books.
  5. Jeeper

Jeeper iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks, I'll look again. Must a' missed 'em.
  6. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    If you go to Kindle or Barnes and Noble you can read descriptions of books and also reviews of readers which I often find helpful. I don't necessarily buy the books there. My first choice is to see if the book is available from our state digital library, but I do buy some and always have books available to read on my Ipad. There are lots of free books available (also out of print, classics and new authors trying to find readers) or less expensive books also. I would also remind anyone using Ibooks, Kindle and Barnes and Noble that you can dl a free sample of the book you are interested in reading, usually the fiset chapter. Love that option.

Diane B
  7. leda

leda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much for your help .......
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,401 / 1
    And many more options. Since most are free to download and try, no need to be shy.

iPad Apps/Games : Book Apps for iPad

The iPad may not be the best book reading hardware, but for book selection and reading options it is great.