Download problem!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Scoobaru, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,just wanted to ask if anyone has had a problem downloading io4.3? I've tried several times to download it on my laptop but the furthest i got was about 350gb of the 643gb on it to complete it. It just keeps telling me that its unable to complete the download,check internet connection. Now the wireless connection is fine and on full bar coverage so beyond that i'm stuck!
    Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers,
    Eamonn
  2. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm pretty sure that it's not a 643 gb file. Maybe 643 mb but def not gb

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I didn't have any problem downloading 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 on five iDevices in a row. I did 4.3.4 the day before yesterday, then learned about 4.3.5 and did that yesterday. I did three iPads, an iPhone 4 and an iPod touch 4.
  4. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes sorry,typing error. I meant mb,it would take a long time to download it in gb!=}
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can it only be done from a pc/mac or can it be done directly from an ipad? Probably not but thought i'd ask anyway.
  6. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    At present you need a PC/mac to download.

The Archangel
  7. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yea. I was just busting your balls

8. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thought that,worth a try! Thanks.
  9. tuffigirl

tuffigirl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you have for an Internet connection? Cause if you're trying with WiMax you can forget it. Even with so called 4g if the winds blows even slightly it'll interrupt it. A friend of mine tried many times before figuring this out and coming to my house to download it. And because of the size of it you absolutely need a strong connection.
  10. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You can always go to an apple store with USB cable and do it on one of their computers.

11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,238 / 1
    Two things. Use the Download Only option. It tends to work better for some reason. Also, some people have found it necessary to temporarily disable their firewall and/or virus protection for longer download from Apple. Don't forget to turn them back on afterwards if you try this.
  12. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey,i have an o2 hotshot wi-fi which has good connection so i don't think its that. Although sometimes when it stops downloading it say it can't connect to server? Maybe it is this problem. I'm going to attempt it again,probably a few times,before i give up on it. Wish me luck!
  13. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know if there is an apple store in ireland,don't quote me on it. I'll have a gander on the net and see if there are any. If so,i may go and do it there. Thanks for the help.
  14. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok,will do. I've tried the download option only but same results but then again i only tried it the once that way so will have a go again with that option. Does it come up as saying that the antivirus doesn't recognise the program or is it just a given that you need to do that? I'll try that aswell,i'll try anything at this point! Thanks everyone for their input. I'll let you know if i succeed.
  15. tuffigirl

tuffigirl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Good luck! And don't get me wrong... MiFi can get a very good connection at times. And it may never appear to you that you were knocked offline. It's just enough so that it interrupts the download... or so that I'll notice it says my friend is offline on chat even though she insists she never went anywhere (if that makes sense LOL). Plus we live in a neighborhood with a very large hill that can affect any MiFi connection.
  16. snowboarder8985

snowboarder8985 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Maybe you can try a library computer also or a local school computer if they aren't locked down.

17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,238 / 1
    The firewall-anti-virus suggestion comes from experience and reports from others. I was having trouble (some years ago) downloading a large movie file. After a few exchanges with Apple he asked if I had anti-virus software running, and recommended taking it down. I stopped the software. Immediately my download worked. I've heard a few other members mention similar experiences.

It is by no means consistent. That movie was the only thing that would not download. What quirk in that software was stopping the download I never figured out.
  18. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Finally! I got the 4.3.5 downloaded. I think it was just the speed of the wifi which is really crap in Ireland! It was only running an average of 190kb/per sec which went down to around 65kb. Slow! Limited broadband in this country. I haven't ungraded it to the ipad yet but will do after weekend. Just happy to have it finally done.=}
  19. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,238 / 1
    Yay!

The actual update on the iPad doesn't take all that long. Just make sure it isn't interrupted.

When I'm feeling paranoid I restart the computer, start only iTunes, start the update, and do nothing on the computer until it is finished. When I'm feeling adventurous, I settle for just not doing anything else on the computer. ;)
  20. Scoobaru

Scoobaru iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know, to be honest i'm abit scared of new tech that i know nothing about especially apple and especially this bit of kit. I actually have a rented film that i haven't watched yet and was going to watch over wknd. So i don't want to upgrade the ipad yet as it says i have to copy it to itunes first or it will be lost(i think?) and to be honest i'm not too sure how it to itunes. Its all new to me. I've always been a cd/dvd buyer for years,which is abit silly now with all the software out there. Now i just buy from itunes which is great and very addictive. Big fan of my heavy metal music videos. Anyway to make a long story short. Will it interfere or delete the apps or videos i have if i upgrade it?