What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

download from itunes in lossless Down

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
can anyone please tell me how I can download from itunes in lossless ALAC. using ipad air 2

Hello - I don't buy much music through iTunes and if so usually import as the highest quality MP3 files (to be used w/ my portable devices) - however, many 'import options' are available according to this Apple Support Article which is partially quoted below.

Also take a look at the attached screen capture from my iTunes app on a MBPro - NOW, I'm not sure w/o trying whether this as an iPad option using iOS, so Scifan.. may certainly be correct. But, on a computer at least, 'General' in Preferences can be opened and import settings selected, which brings up the dialog box to the left (blue arrow) - a number of lossless 'encoders' are available, including AIFF, Apple Lossless, & WAV.

Of course, if the iTunes app in iOS does not have that feature, then music can always to transferred from your computer (if you own one w/ iTunes?) - of course, keep in mind that 60 mins of WAV music occupies 600 MB! Dave :)

1. Choose an encoding format from the Import Using pop-up menu.
    • AAC Encoder:
      Use for most music. You can listen to songs encoded using this format in iTunes, on iPhone and iPad, and on iPod models that come with a dock connector.
    • AIFF Encoder:
      Use if you want to burn high-quality CDs with the songs you’re importing without losing audio quality.
    • Apple Lossless Encoder:
      Use if you want to listen to imported songs on audiophile-quality sound systems without losing audio quality. (Songs imported using this format take up much more disk space.)
    • MP3 Encoder:
      Use if you plan to listen to music in apps other than iTunes, or on MP3 players other than iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
    • WAV Encoder:
      Use if you’ll be playing your songs on a computer that doesn’t have MP3 software.
Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 11.41.54 AM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello - I don't buy much music through iTunes and if so usually import as the highest quality MP3 files (to be used w/ my portable devices) - however, many 'import options' are available according to this Apple Support Article which is partially quoted below.

Also take a look at the attached screen capture from my iTunes app on a MBPro - NOW, I'm not sure w/o trying whether this as an iPad option using iOS, so Scifan.. may certainly be correct. But, on a computer at least, 'General' in Preferences can be opened and import settings selected, which brings up the dialog box to the left (blue arrow) - a number of lossless 'encoders' are available, including AIFF, Apple Lossless, & WAV.

Of course, if the iTunes app in iOS does not have that feature, then music can always to transferred from your computer (if you own one w/ iTunes?) - of course, keep in mind that 60 mins of WAV music occupies 600 MB! Dave :)

View attachment 67215
That applies to music imported to iTunes from outside sources, such as a CD that you want to rip. It doesn't apply to music purchased from the iTunes Store.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That applies to music imported to iTunes from outside sources, such as a CD that you want to rip. It doesn't apply to music purchased from the iTunes Store.

Thanks for the clarification - I have not bought music from iTunes in a while and remember the files download as 256 kbps *.m4a (same as AAC) - in fact, I wanted to burn a few iTunes DLs to a CD-R to play in my CD players and had to convert to MP3 files, so the AAC codec can be a nuisance if your player(s) are not AAC compatible.

SO, for the OP, you'll have to find a source other that the iTunes Store if you want to obtain 'lossless' audio formats - iTunes can certainly rip your CDs to those codecs if desired. Of course, there are online websites that are offering downloads in various formats, e.g. I've used ClassicsOnline for many years purchasing recordings in MP3 format - they have a new website w/ its own Mac App for streaming and/or downloading - just opened the app, picked an album, and was offered the many options shown below - MP3 + a variety of lossless choices. Good luck and let us know if any of this information is helpful and if you have further questions. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 2.16.25 PM.png

Most reactions