download from itunes in lossless Down

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by hard time with Apple, Sep 2, 2015.

1. hard time with Apple

hard time with Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    can anyone please tell me how I can download from itunes in lossless ALAC. using ipad air 2

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At the current time music available for purchase through iTunes is not available in ALAC. iTunes songs are available at 256kbps.

3. hard time with Apple

hard time with Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Thank you

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello - I don't buy much music through iTunes and if so usually import as the highest quality MP3 files (to be used w/ my portable devices) - however, many 'import options' are available according to this Apple Support Article which is partially quoted below.

Also take a look at the attached screen capture from my iTunes app on a MBPro - NOW, I'm not sure w/o trying whether this as an iPad option using iOS, so Scifan.. may certainly be correct. But, on a computer at least, 'General' in Preferences can be opened and import settings selected, which brings up the dialog box to the left (blue arrow) - a number of lossless 'encoders' are available, including AIFF, Apple Lossless, & WAV.

Of course, if the iTunes app in iOS does not have that feature, then music can always to transferred from your computer (if you own one w/ iTunes?) - of course, keep in mind that 60 mins of WAV music occupies 600 MB! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 11.41.54 AM.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That applies to music imported to iTunes from outside sources, such as a CD that you want to rip. It doesn't apply to music purchased from the iTunes Store.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the clarification - I have not bought music from iTunes in a while and remember the files download as 256 kbps *.m4a (same as AAC) - in fact, I wanted to burn a few iTunes DLs to a CD-R to play in my CD players and had to convert to MP3 files, so the AAC codec can be a nuisance if your player(s) are not AAC compatible.

SO, for the OP, you'll have to find a source other that the iTunes Store if you want to obtain 'lossless' audio formats - iTunes can certainly rip your CDs to those codecs if desired. Of course, there are online websites that are offering downloads in various formats, e.g. I've used ClassicsOnline for many years purchasing recordings in MP3 format - they have a new website w/ its own Mac App for streaming and/or downloading - just opened the app, picked an album, and was offered the many options shown below - MP3 + a variety of lossless choices. Good luck and let us know if any of this information is helpful and if you have further questions. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 2.16.25 PM.png