What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download a pic from email

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i am trying to download a jpeg from an email i sent myself. When i pull it up in the mail client, it displays just fine. So i long click-> save. go to photos, and it has a placeholder for the pic i just saved, but won't show anything, and i can't delete the placeholder. any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i am trying to download a jpeg from an email i sent myself. When i pull it up in the mail client, it displays just fine. So i long click-> save. go to photos, and it has a placeholder for the pic i just saved, but won't show anything, and i can't delete the placeholder. any ideas?

OK - can I be clear - you email a photo to yourself, the photo appears in the iPad's 'Mail' client OK, it's probably not downloaded at this stage, you touch the attachment icon to download it, a few seconds later the picture appears, you then touch the photo and choose the option 'Save'.

You then switch to the iPad's 'Photo' app and you can see the thumbnails of all the other photos that you have there. There is the 'placeholder' for the photo that you saved, but does that placeholder show an icon-style 'thumbnail' of the photo that you downloaded or something else, like a question-mark '?'.

What happens when you touch the placeholder to expand the photo to full-screen mode? Does anything happen?

Sorry to be so pedantic about the precise details of what's happening...

Get back to us and we'll try to sort it out.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
better to be clear, certainly more details are good! i'll take any help i can get :) Ill add responses to the quote below, in brackets. they are JPG files i took on my phone FYI.

OK - can I be clear - you email a photo to yourself, the photo appears in the iPad's 'Mail' client OK [exactly], it's probably not downloaded at this stage, you touch the attachment icon to download it[correct], a few seconds later the picture appears[yep], you then touch the photo and choose the option 'Save'[yep].

You then switch to the iPad's 'Photo' app and you can see the thumbnails of all the other photos that you have there[yep]. There is the 'placeholder' for the photo that you saved, but does that placeholder show an icon-style 'thumbnail' of the photo that you downloaded or something else, like a question-mark '?'[good question. it shows no thumbnail of the picture, just a box with a camera icon that says "JPG" in the middle].

What happens when you touch the placeholder to expand the photo to full-screen mode[can't expand it, touching it does nothing]? Does anything happen?[in fact, when i click on a good picture, it expands and says "1 of 1" on the top, even though there are numerous of these "phantom" pictures]

Sorry to be so pedantic about the precise details of what's happening...

Get back to us and we'll try to sort it out.

Tim
Scotland

thanks for the help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so you have one picture that you can display. Can you tell me a few other things. What is the camera that you're importing these pictures from and how large are the images? Could you export them from your camera at a different compression setting? If so, could you give that a try and see if it can display those...

Final thing - as always I should have suggested this first of all - have you done the 'fix it' cure for many iPad 'issues' and turned the iPad off and then on? i.e a complete power down by holding down the Power key until the slider control appears.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so you have one picture that you can display. Can you tell me a few other things. What is the camera that you're importing these pictures from and how large are the images? Could you export them from your camera at a different compression setting? If so, could you give that a try and see if it can display those...
[i was afraid to say... but its from a droid X ;). i turned it down to 3mp instead of the default 8mp. That isn't compression ratio, but at least its not a huge file. I guess i could open it up on the PC and reduce the ratio that way and try it]

Final thing - as always I should have suggested this first of all - have you done the 'fix it' cure for many iPad 'issues' and turned the iPad off and then on? i.e a complete power down by holding down the Power key until the slider control appears.[i did do that once, and the phantoms disappeared, but then i tried another test and it+the old ones reappeared. Now if i reboot again, they remain.....]

Tim
Scotland

---its a thinker :) ---

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i guess more specifically, i took it with my droid, usb'd it over to my laptop, and emailed it from my work email to my gmail, which i accessed on the ipad...... its a web to be sure. either way, if the mail app can display it, it annoys me the photos one cant...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What puzzles me is that they appear OK in the 'Mail' preview. As you say, it's a 'thinker'! Do you have any other apps that could display them? (You can see that I'm 'clutching at straws'!). i.e. is it just a 'Photos' app issue or something more fundamental?

I'm going to think.......
Tim
Scotland

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so it turns out you are right.... it was at like 92 resolution (pixels/inch). So i saved it at 50 pixels/in, 85% quality, and they show up now.

still, disappointing. i can delete those phantoms next time i sync i hope....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But interesting they show up OK in the preview! I wonder if this is a 'feature' or a 'bug'!

Tim
Scotland

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i guess more specifically, i took it with my droid, usb'd it over to my laptop, and emailed it from my work email to my gmail, which i accessed on the ipad...... its a web to be sure. either way, if the mail app can display it, it annoys me the photos one cant...

This may be a stupid question but just wondering why you have to go through all those steps if you can just use the gmail app on the droid x to send yourself the email.

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This may be a stupid question but just wondering why you have to go through all those steps if you can just use the gmail app on the droid x to send yourself the email.

lol, no stupid questions, in my plant, signal is impaired. down still pretty fast, up is kinda slow, so its hit or miss. since android plays well with all PCs (usb mass storage mode) i just plug it in and attach the file to an email.

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyways, thanks for the help, i woulda never thought to change the res.

OP
A

adammsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
last thought... i wonder if it was really resolution, or something the paint.net program did to it (maybe it scrubbed it somehow...)

Most reactions