What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downgrading from iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 iPad 2 Wifi Only

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KekszNET said:
A friend of mind downgraded his Ipad 2 3G from iOS 5 to 4.3.3 because he couldnt live without XBMC ;)

Not recently he didn't. It's now impossible to downgrade the iPad2 3G.

hdclover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KekszNET said:
A friend of mind downgraded his Ipad 2 3G from iOS 5 to 4.3.3 because he couldnt live without XBMC ;)

can u ask ur friend how he did it?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hdclover said:
can u ask ur friend how he did it?

To be clear, he didn't. It is not possible now the 4.3.5 signing window is closed.

Last edited:

Jackhu9527

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rudy,great to see you've done this downgrade process.:eek:
I've recently bought my iPad 2(wifi 16GB White) with iOS 5 installed out of the box,no previous version shsh backup - which according to my knowledge,is essential for downgrading iOS devices to older iOS version,such as iOS 4.3.3.
I've heard many of my friends say there's no way to downgrade to iOS 4.X without backup shsh files,and I'm really disappointed.
While now you've done this,I just wonder if this also works for me,:p. Did you back up your shsh file(at least once) before upgrading to iOS 5?
Thanks,
Jack

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jackhu9527 said:
Hi Rudy,great to see you've done this downgrade process.:eek:
I've recently bought my iPad 2(wifi 16GB White) with iOS 5 installed out of the box,no previous version shsh backup - which according to my knowledge,is essential for downgrading iOS devices to older iOS version,such as iOS 4.3.3.
I've heard many of my friends say there's no way to downgrade to iOS 4.X without backup shsh files,and I'm really disappointed.
While now you've done this,I just wonder if this also works for me,:p. Did you back up your shsh file(at least once) before upgrading to iOS 5?
Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack!

Unfortunately for you, yes I (unknowingly) did.
At the moment of startting this post I was confused about some errors that iTunes gave me while downgrading.
My 4.3.3 SHSH blobs were saved by Cydia once my iPad was jailbroken earlier.

But your iPad is on iOS 5? Lucky for you, it isn't 5.0.1.
Mine is on iOS 5 now too, waiting for the upcoming jailbreak. Hopefully it comes soon!

Jackhu9527

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rudy,I really appreciate your quick reply.:p
Hmm,it seems I've got no other option but just wait for the upcoming jailbreak for iPad 2.
Latest tweets from one of those hackers working on iOS 5 jailbreak say it won't be long,hackers FTW! :)

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jackhu9527 said:
Thanks Rudy,I really appreciate your quick reply.:p
Hmm,it seems I've got no other option but just wait for the upcoming jailbreak for iPad 2.
Latest tweets from one of those hackers working on iOS 5 jailbreak say it won't be long,hackers FTW! :)

From who? I haven't seen such a tweet! Tell me about it!

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In fact the jb is delayed..so it's not soon

Another thing I wud like to ask is that I had an iPad 2 wifi before and I saved it's shsh blobs on 4.3.3 and jb it..I still have the blobs..Then I got some problems and apple replaced it with a new model and it came with 4.3.5 sadly..

So just wanted to know-
1. if I can use those shsh blobs from that model to downgrade this iPad from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3?

2. Should I stick to 4.3.5 if this can't be done? Or shud I upgrade now?

3. If I wait and a jb comes for 5.0..will I be able to upgrade to 5.0 specifically to jb? Or will i have to upgrade to the official apple OS available that time?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In fact the jb is delayed..so it's not soon

Another thing I wud like to ask is that I had an iPad 2 wifi before and I saved it's shsh blobs on 4.3.3 and jb it..I still have the blobs..Then I got some problems and apple replaced it with a new model and it came with 4.3.5 sadly..

So just wanted to know-
1. if I can use those shsh blobs from that model to downgrade this iPad from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3?

No. SHSH blobs are specific to each iPad and cannot be used on another.

2. Should I stick to 4.3.5 if this can't be done? Or shud I upgrade now?

While no one can really tell you what's going to happen, I believe your odds are better on iOS 5. The jailbreaking community is focused on jail breaking iOS 5.x now - I don't think anyone's really looking at iOS 4.3.x any longer. However, with that said, recent rumors on the web state that the optimal iOS to be on right now is 5.0, not 5.0.1. For you, 5.0.1 is the ONLY version you can upgrade to. So, really, it's a gamble if you move up - but it's a gamble if you stay. So, only you can decide.

3. If I wait and a jb comes for 5.0..will I be able to upgrade to 5.0 specifically to jb? Or will i have to upgrade to the official apple OS available that time?

No. The signing window for iOS 5.0 has long passed. The only upgrade available to you now is 5.0.1.

Hope this helps clarify things and aids you in your decision(s).

Marilyn

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
but i heard u can upgrade to a firmware [even if its not current]..just cant downgrade

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
but i heard u can upgrade to a firmware [even if its not current]..just cant downgrade

Only to the firmware Apple signs at the moment, which is only the latest firmware iOS 5.0.1.

Most reactions