What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downgrade

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blobs are not stored on your iPad...

I know you like to be in possession of all the facts Scifan, so here is a slight correction.

Blobs are of course stored on the iPad (they are stitched into the firmware when it is installed), otherwise the device simply wouldn't work. It is just that there is no way to extract them from iPad2 or later devices as things stand.
A bootrom / iBoot exploit is necessary and whilst we don't have one (yet) for A5+ devices, it was possible on the A4 based iPad1. For example, the iFaith tool supported the extraction of blobs up to and including 5.0.1 thanks to geohot's limera1n exploit. redsn0w also has this functionality if I recall correctly.

Hope that clarifies.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I know you like to be in possession of all the facts Scifan, so here is a slight correction.

Blobs are of course stored on the iPad (they are stitched into the firmware when it is installed), otherwise the device simply wouldn't work. It is just that there is no way to extract them from iPad2 or later devices as things stand.
A bootrom / iBoot exploit is necessary and whilst we don't have one (yet) for A5+ devices, it was possible on the A4 based iPad1. For example, the iFaith tool supported the extraction of blobs up to and including 5.0.1 thanks to geohot's limera1n exploit. redsn0w also has this functionality if I recall correctly.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks for the correction, f4780y, I have edited the post in question.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts