What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Resolution For iPad 2? Possible Retina Display?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the greatest things about the iPad is the tremendous battery life, to adequately run a display of this rez would require a processor upgrade (probably an A5), you can kiss your 10 hour battery span goodbye. While I think a better display is a great idea I also think that something this drastic while captivating will not show up in the new iPad, this would be a quantum leap from the current display and given Apples track record is something that would probably be "rolled"out over several generations of Pads if at all. Just my 2 cents.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nobody could have predicted the iPad's success and as such, now they have to top themselves, as well as the competition. Should be interesting to watch :)

I agree that they need to stay ahead but in this particular case, the screen resolution this post is talking about would be nothing more than bragging rights. Many full blown gaming PC's can't even run that resolution smoothly. It wouldn't even be utilised by the iPad due to the lack of processing power. I don't even think the 3rd Gen iPad will be able to run a full screen game smoothly at that resolution.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am betting the iPad 2 will have the exact same resolution that the current generation model has. I can see Apple going with a different panel if it offers better power consumption, viewing angle, brightness, etc. but not higher resolution. It all comes down to app development. All of the app writers already had to come up with new graphics to support the iPad as it is. I really don't see Apple asking those people to go back and do another rewrite one year later to support yet another screen resolution. Unless Apple has some really magical scaling hardware built into the new iPad to support the current apps I just don't see a new resolution being realistic at this point.

Studor13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the price doesn't increase this would be a killer feature for photographers.

People are starting to mount iPads onto their cameras and I can tell you that for things like macros no one else would have a comeback.

Also, for zooming this would be heaven for all the pixel peepers.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the greatest things about the iPad is the tremendous battery life, to adequately run a display of this rez would require a processor upgrade (probably an A5), you can kiss your 10 hour battery span goodbye.

Why is that? If the A5 is made using a smaller fabrication process, it will require less power to run and therefore any increase in graphical processing power may not necessarily come at the expense of battery life - it may even improve slightly.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Playboy comes to the iPad i can't Steve encouraging pixel peeping..........

Wonder if they"ll do a volte face and allow flash with the extra power?
They have done over the lock screen button and it has been the biggest outcry against the tablet.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I just wish they would redesign some of those foul fixed icons such as Itunes, Notes and Contacts. Have them all penned up in a rejects folder hidden on the last screen....

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
Where do I get a crystal ball like the one that you're using?

While I agree that it is improbable, it's impossible to know already what wil be or will not be coming this year.

Not a crystal ball, it's just over a quarter century of building software and hardware myself. The processing power required to push over three million pixels is considerably more expensive and more power consuming than that required for the current one quarter of a million pixels at a framerate that Apple would be happy with. Also factor in the fact that developers would have to create resources for yet another iOS device resolution.

Apple is very conservative with their design changes, and this would be a radical change for them to make just to stay ahead in a market they currently own.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the greatest things about the iPad is the tremendous battery life, to adequately run a display of this rez would require a processor upgrade (probably an A5), you can kiss your 10 hour battery span goodbye.

Why is that? If the A5 is made using a smaller fabrication process, it will require less power to run and therefore any increase in graphical processing power may not necessarily come at the expense of battery life - it may even improve slightly.

Well two things, first I was also taking into account that the screen itself would require more power to operate. Second from what I read about the A5 is that it is a dual core chip and while it is made with a smaller fabrication process, the rez of the screen we are talking about doubles the current size and would require four times the processing power to operate, even with the smaller die that still equates to more power. I am no engineer so I can't begin to speculate how much of a difference in power consumption we are talking about but we are looking at huge increase of pixels here and unless Apple has some new battery technology to deploy with more juice I don't see how we can realisticly expect to get the same battery life out of such a powerful device. Nothing is free.

Most reactions

Latest posts