What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double downloading Apps and File Sharing

Gedc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks.

A very happy new owner of an IPAD 2 posting with a couple of questions so looking forwards to feedback or tips.

Can someone explain to me how I stop simultaneous downloads of files when I purchase an app i.e it downloads to ITUNES and it also downloads using my wireless connection to my IPAD. This uses double my bandwith and in NZ, we have some awfully limited plans. Can't I just download to Itunes then sync across when I plug in?

Also, been using good reader and Azul and was initially impressed with Apple's filesharing where i can drag and drop files into each program. This ONLY now works as long as I dont click onto any of the other programs listed as being able to file share. As soon as I click around any of the other apps, the file sharing seems to hang. Will let me browse and add but wont upload to Ipad or show it as loaded. I need to unplug and reconnect the ipad and it works again for a bit. I see a fair number of similar posts on apple forums etc but no resolution as to what causes it. Ive tried resyncing the pad, reinstalling itunes etc to to avail..

Thanks for any help you can offer. Seriously loving the IPAD.

Ged

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In iTunes on the computer, go to Preferences, the Store tab, and uncheck the Apps option under Automatic Downloads. This will stop iTunes from downloading an app when you purchase it on the iPad.

If you want to download in iTunes, and not have it auto sync to the iPad, go to Settings > Store and uncheck the Apps options there.

If you have an iPhone, do the same thing.

Or, to put it more briefly. Simply turn the option off on any device or computer (iTunes) that you dont want auto downloads. You can still visit the Purchased section of each store and manualy download later, or sync through iTunes via the USB cable.

OP
G

Gedc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im feeling dumb

Hi Twerppoet.

Thanks for your help but I cant find the correct location to make changes ?! I cant see settings but I can see Store on the menu but no options to change the things i need to change.

I use the App Store in Itunes on my pc to select an app and start downloading it. After x minutes it says downloaded and may have used up 100 mb of data. If I then look at the IPAD, the wifi ( home connection) is flashing, it has a symbol of the APP I just downloaded onto ITunes, a little loading bar underneath and is about 25% of the way there and appears to be using up another 100 mb of data.

Thats the bit I want to stop. I simply want to download to Itunes then sync it onto the Ipad..

I currently have to puase it on the ipad, click the little cross to delete it, resync etc etc...

Thanks and sorry for being dumb :confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, the service is beta, and only supposed to work in the U.S. right now. If you are in New Zealand (as your location says) but buying using a U.S. account the you may be confusing the system.

The settings on the iPad undated for US users shortly after the iCloud beta went into service. I have no idea what Apple used to target those iPads for the new settings, but it was probably in location services, not the App Store. If I remember right the settings were on by default when they showed up.

So, if you are buying form the U.S. store, it's going to try to treat you as a beta iCloud users with default settings, but because your iPad is registered in New Zealand it isn't giving you the settings.

The only way I can see for you to avoid double downloads is to download directly to the iPad from the App Store app. If you are running iTunes 10.3 you can turn off the auto download for it under Preferences, the Store tab. By going into your Apps sync setting in iTunes and choosing to Automatically sync new apps you can have the apps from the iPad copy themselves to iTunes the next time you sync.

In other words, the opposite of what you are doing.

If my guess as to what is going on is correct, I don't see any other way for you to avoid double downloads. Well, other than not buying from your U.S. account anymore.

wiz1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stop Double Downloads in IPAD and computer

On IPAD Go to settings - store- turn off automatic downloads for Apps and Books

OP
G

Gedc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou..Had to change it on the Ipad but worked at treat.

Thx again

Most reactions

Latest posts