What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DOS like File Manager

Rob.Skully

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I hope to learn ALOT from this forum so please bare with me.
I have been using a CPU since about 1988 before Windows became popular.
Started out using the DOS version of AutoCad then went to the Windows
O/S platform since then. I was introduced to the I-phone & I-Pad idea
this past Winter. Was driving up North to snowmobile and while I was driving
my buddy hooked up his I-phone to his I-pad and was surfing the web
as I drove. I thought ... Way Too KEWL !
He showed me a few apps he had loaded and I thought it was neat.
So now I need something so versitile like this for accessing the Web
during lunch ;-) because it is frowned upon at work. Also seamed nice
to have since I do not own a smartphone (just a regular cell phone).
I want to do some side work and figured it would be of great use to
have access to the Web anytime & anywhere. It look to be pretty easy
to use (I-Pad 2) and I think I will get ahold of the Apple O/S down once
I get to use it alot. I am not fimilar with the whole "App's" idea yet :-(
One question I have not been able to get answered yet either from the
Apple site, the Apple Store (near where I work) or the few people at
work (they also mostly DOS based users). Is how do you handle non music or video files ?
I am use to using File Manager (older Windows version) or Explore (not
Internet Explorer). I plan on getting the 64 Gig WiFi/3G version.
I was wondering if someone sends me a file via an E-mail how do I file it
to a certain directory ? In the DOS O/S you make directories and folders.
While I was at the Apple store playing with an I-Pad I could not figure it
out and the store person could not explain it to me the way I could understand.
They did say something about using an App some how. I seen where
the have a dongle thing for connecting to a camera but it only transfers
pic & video. Sorry for the long post and if I should be asking these questions
in another forum please direct me to the right forum here.
Thanks .....
Rob .....

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have, by no means, tried every option, but, in general, you cannot use windows explorer to drag and drop files to the iPad or gain access to the file structure or create folders. The initial way to share data between pc and iPad is through iTunes. When connected, the iPad shows up as a device in the iTunes list, where it gives you options to sync certain types of data, depending on what apps you have loaded. There are also apps which can be used to transfer data.

It is definitely different than what you (or I) are used to. It is also my opinion that this represents a shortcoming in the ways of iOS. My suggestion is to find someone to show you how this works before you decide to purchase. It sounds as if this is a critical feature for your needs.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you my friend, need to jailbreak your ipad2.

asap!!!!!

ipad2 was just jailbroken on july 6th on its 4.3.3 firmware(OS version).

reason why i said asap, apple might be updating 4.3.3 to something newer to try and stop future firmware jailbreaks.

and for what/why you wanna enter ipad file system, is only done by being jailbroken.

but you have to learn this whole jailbreak thing, and kinda abide by what it is already capable of doing, and not too much you can add, and that it might already be capable to do what you are looking for.

Now... when you said you wanna add files, what are we talking about?

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I hope to learn ALOT from this forum so please bare with me.
<snip>
Welcome to the forum! I think the first thing, and possibly the most difficult until you get used to it, is to get your mind around how the iPad/iOS works. iOS files are all associated with programs or applications, AKA "apps". Unlike Windows, DOS, etc., in iOS the "app" is king, not the file. So when you receive or transfer a file it will be associated with an app on your iPad. A text document for example might be associated with Pages or GoodReader. A spreadsheet might be associated with Numbers or Office2 HD.

In the world of Windows (and its DOS legacy) files were generally the starting point. In iOS it's just the opposite. Whatever you're going to do it will start with an app. Within that app you will have saved files. So instead of finding an .xls file, double clicking on it to open a program as you would in Windows, you open the app, then open the file. Unlike Windows you won't find files listed that cannot be opened with that app (unless you accidentally saved them there).

In the world of Apple files are like engine parts. You really don't need to know how they work or where they are kept exactly; you only need to know how to turn the key, get the engine running and drive the car...or in iOS terms, open the app and tap on the file. That tends to drive some folks nuts but the bottom line is that it's very simple and it just works.

Having spent about as much time as you using and even building PC's the transition from "where's the file?" to "I don't care where the file is, which app am I going to use?" was a little difficult at first, but more than a year into it I'm more than happy with the process and in fact found it very liberating.

To answer your question about email attachments, all you need to do is tap on the attachment, a popup will appear with a list of apps on your iPad that can open that attachment. Open it and then save it in that application, done. It's there the next time you need to use it. If you don't have an app that can handle it there is almost certainly one available, often for 99 cents, possibly a little more.

There are a number of apps that will allow you to drag and drop files from your Mac or PC into an app on your iPad while it's connected and syncing with iTunes. So if say you have a .pdf file you'd like to keep on your iPad you could email it to yourself or you could use one of the programs that allows drag and drop to copy it over. Right now that usually requires your iPad to be connected to your computer with a wire or dock, however there are a couple of apps including AirSharing that let you do that via your WiFi. It also looks like the next upgrade (iOS 5) will allow syncing to happen wirelessly as well.

GoodReader is an excellent program that allows you to open most files to view them. Other apps like Apple's Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc. as well as hundreds (thousands?) of third-party apps are available to do just about anything you can imagine.

Evernote is another terrific program that allows you to do a lot of things with files, notes, web pages and more as well.

DropBox is one of the best apps for saving files and making them available to not only your iOS device, but PC's and even to the public (if you'd like) too.

As poser mentioned you can jailbreak your iPad to get other apps that may do what you're looking for. It's a little more dicey since Apple isn't screening the apps, but there are rewards as long as you're careful.

It's a short learning curve and really a mindset change but once you've grasped the concept, the rest is a cakewalk IMHO.

Do keep in mind that an iPad is not a PC and not a substitute for a full-on computer and it's not meant to be. If you have to live in a world of files and command lines, an iPad is probably just going to be frustrating. If you can get used to not dealing with a lot of bare files and just enjoy using apps that work almost without fail to do what you'd like, then like millions of others (including yours truly) you'll be very happy with an iPad. Plus the iPad continues to evolve with each new update and upgrade so the possibilities are endless as they say.

Hope that helps and I'm sure others will have more tips as well.

Last edited:

slayda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... If you can get used to not dealing with a lot of bare files and just enjoy using apps that work almost without fail to do what you'd like, then like millions of others (including yours truly) you'll be very happy with an iPad. ...

Only trouble is, it's not what 'you'd like' but what 'Steve Jobs'd like'. I admit you're right in many respects but the "file" is what I'm interested in, not the app. There may be several apps that can do something with a particular file type, e.g. ebooks & ereaders. But if an ebook is somehow 'hidden' in the 'ibook app', how do I find it to use the 'goodreader app'? Or do I have to juse make another copy to use another app. Seem very counter-intuitive to me but I'm learning to work with purposely crippled iOS. :eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...snipped a very nice explanation...

Rich:

I just wanted to say thanks for this. It's one of the nicer-written articles explaining the difference between iPad's apps and computer programs. Very well done...

In fact, I've "stolen" it for future reference (it's all safe and secure in my Evernote notebook).

Again, appreciate the time it took to write this up - and to share it.

Marilyn

bww

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams:

Great reply with lots of good insight. I have come from a file-centered world and I find Apple's app-centered world refreshing. It is not that one is better or worse but just different and both have their pros and cons.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bww said:
richsadams:

Great reply with lots of good insight. I have come from a file-centered world and I find Apple's app-centered world refreshing. It is not that one is better or worse but just different and both have their pros and cons.

Agreed, it does take a little getting used to. Bottom line, I like that it works and I don't have to spend time working on something (files, file structures, my computer, phone. etc.) and working with the actual item.

Like some I used to enjoy dealing with files and tweaking and other associated things from days past but I for one don't miss it. Using Apple products I've become more productive than ever.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Rich:

I just wanted to say thanks for this. It's one of the nicer-written articles explaining the difference between iPad's apps and computer programs. Very well done...

In fact, I've "stolen" it for future reference (it's all safe and secure in my Evernote notebook).

Again, appreciate the time it took to write this up - and to share it.

Marilyn

Thanks for the kind words! Evernote is Awesome isn't it?

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
speedlever said:
That is outstanding information. But I'll probably have to read it a few more times for it to sink into my PC oriented brain.

Thanks for that.

Always glad to be confusing...ha! Hope it helps a little though. :)

slayda

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In the world of Windows (and its DOS legacy) files were generally the starting point. In iOS it's just the opposite. Whatever you're going to do it will start with an app. Within that app you will have saved files. So instead of finding an .xls file, double clicking on it to open a program as you would in Windows, you open the app, then open the file. Unlike Windows you won't find files listed that cannot be opened with that app (unless you accidentally saved them there).

I have a question - If I have an ebook in epub format that I've opened with iBook, then iBook knows where it is. Then maybe I find another ebook reader and open the same ebook with it & it also knows where the ebook. With Apples system, of course I don't have a clue & will have to import it again. So does Apple then have two separate copies of the ebook or is the iOS smart enough to know it already has that ebook, create a pointer to the it and 'share' the location?

It seems more likely that I'd end up with two copies since I would be importing the ebook anew from a location I know (e.g. my Dropbox). But if I knew where Apple put the file then 'I' could point the second ereader SW to that location, thus saving memory space.

This is just an example. Many file types can be worked on by more than one program (or app). How would the second app know where the file is?

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
slayda said:
I have a question - If I have an ebook in epub format that I've opened with iBook, then iBook knows where it is. Then maybe I find another ebook reader and open the same ebook with it & it also knows where the ebook. With Apples system, of course I don't have a clue & will have to import it again. So does Apple then have two separate copies of the ebook or is the iOS smart enough to know it already has that ebook, create a pointer to the it and 'share' the location?

It seems more likely that I'd end up with two copies since I would be importing the ebook anew from a location I know (e.g. my Dropbox). But if I knew where Apple put the file then 'I' could point the second ereader SW to that location, thus saving memory space.

This is just an example. Many file types can be worked on by more than one program (or app). How would the second app know where the file is?

I'm not certain but it is my impression that even when one uses Inter-App Document Exchange, two separate files are created. Though it seems like it might be a waste, if this is the price of security, it might be a good thing.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each app will create it's own copy. Some apps, such as Documents2Go, for example, only use a copy - it doesn't save to it's files until you tell it to do so. Others, such as Goodreader, automatically create a file that is accessible later (even after you've closed and then reopened the app).

It's just the nature of the iPad - there is no across boundaries sharing. It's "I'll make and use my own copy, thank you."

Agreed, it's a good way to prevent random acts of hacking on the iPad. You'll just have to remember, every now and then, to clean out the various apps and the duplicate copies.

Marilyn

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You'll just have to remember, every now and then, to clean out the various apps and the duplicate copies.
That's a tall order, but maybe an essential part of getting used to a different operating system.

Most reactions