Dominica & iPad

Discussion in 'International iPad Users' started by ml17, May 5, 2011.

1. ml17

ml17 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello:

I just purchased an iPad 2 for my girlfriend starting Ross University in Dominica. I will give it to her next Thursday as a gift for her white coat ceremony. I noticed that you live in Dominica. I purchased the 16gb 3g for AT&T. I wanted to inquire with you about service there. I know there's LIME or Digicel. But I cannot find anything about activating the iPad for just data. I was wondering if you may know how to do this? Also she has an iPhone 3GS and needs to get that activated. What is the monthly cost? What to I tell them when I get there and want it activated? Also, I see the iPad 2 uses micro SIM, do the carriers there support this? I was thinking of just having AT&T here in the states provide the service, but it is EXPENSIVE.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    You can see coverage maps, operators and plans for Dominica here.

GSM Coverage Maps | Dominica (Commonwealth of)

As you mentioned, the iPad uses a microSIM and these are not very widespread at the moment. However, you can purchase a SIM cutter from retailers such as Amazon that enable you to trim the excess plastic off a regular SIM to make it into a microSIM. These are not very expensive and it would probably be a worthwhile investment to take one with you.

Most members have found that an AT&T iPad needs to be initialised first in the US using a pre-pay AT&T microSIM. Once it has been initialised, it can be used with other SIMs without any trouble.

Tim