What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your iPad 3 heat up excessively?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems like it does get hotter in game intensive apps. Finance video: top stocks, ETF, mutual fund and investment news video - MSN Money These guys tested it watch the video, i hate how the host tries to make the iPad look bad.

12 degrees might be significant in terms the relation to previous model, but that is no criterion for anything. It won't burn you at 116 degrees...and if you find that too warm (which is odd, frankly, I have laptops that get way hotter), just put it in a case (where is ought to be anyhow).

asafdari10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine got so hot, the screen turned black and apple gave me a message something like this... "device is overheated, please allow it to cool down". Anyone else get this message when it got hot. Mine happened only once, especially when I was driving and using the internet with 4G LTE on.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine got so hot, the screen turned black and apple gave me a message something like this... "device is overheated, please allow it to cool down". Anyone else get this message when it got hot. Mine happened only once, especially when I was driving and using the internet with 4G LTE on.

Did you also happen to have it on the dash in the sun? Even if your car is air conditioned, the stuff that sunlight streams directly on will get plenty of heat. I've once had a briefcase melt when I left it on a car seat for a few hours directly in the sun.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad about a week now. With casual use I've not really noticed any heat issue. However today the bottom corner got a little bit warm, "luke warm" shall we say whilst I was playing infinity blade. That's it though. Generally it's nothing to be worried about.

Sent from my iPad 3

L

Lunar

Similiar to last poster, I've been using mine for 2 weeks and not noticed any undue warming at all., my brightness is set under 50% as I find thats more than plenty inside our home, and the most intensive thing it's done is playing back films and streaming live TV. The rear of case is still cool after a few hours of use. Had a couple of other minor issues, but getting warm is not one of them.
The only time I can detect the slightest hint of warm-ness is if when charging fully from around 10/15% for a few hours and using it at the same time, and even then it's only just detectable in one area to the side on the connector end of the iPad. So I assume this is where the main voltage regulator is located and probably using the rear case as the heatsink.

Certainly for general use when not charging with brightness at 40/45% which is plenty inside our home, I cannot feel any warmth at all on the rear of my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ Excessive heat is never good for any electrical device. Are you using the original 10W charger or an iPhone (5W) one? Are you using the pad while charging?

Most reactions

Latest posts