What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does using an external mic mute the ipad internal mic?

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an external mic with Blue fire and Multitrack Daw - I connect it to the headphone in socket.

But it doesn't seem to mute the built in iPad 1 microphone, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Is there any way to mute the built in microphone?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should. At least I'm fairly sure it should. Make sure the mic plug is firmly seated. That's been known to be a problem with iPad headphone jacks in the past, though this is the first time I've seen the microphone mentioned as a symptom.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should. At least I'm fairly sure it should. Make sure the mic plug is firmly seated. That's been known to be a problem with iPad headphone jacks in the past, though this is the first time I've seen the microphone mentioned as a symptom.

The mic jack seems to be fairly well seated - after all, the mic works, and the jack seems to be at least as well seated as my earbud jacks.

But it's just an after-market, fairly cheap balanced 1/4 inch to balanced 1/8th inch jack adapter. Maybe it's not making a full connection.

I've emailed Apple support, and hopefully they will have an answer.

In the mean time, has anybody else got any information?

PS: I phoned a place that does iPad mods, and his suggestion was to stick a needle in the mic hole to stuff the mic permanently! Seems a bit drastic :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Drastic indeed. I'd think a piece of tape and some dense foam would do nearly as well, and leave the mic available if ever wanted to use it again.

That, and willful damage of the iPad might void your warrantee, just bit.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drastic indeed. I'd think a piece of tape and some dense foam would do nearly as well, and leave the mic available if ever wanted to use it again.

That's an excellent idea! I've got some dense closed-cell foam - and hey, everybody has gaffer tape, right :D

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's an excellent idea! I've got some dense closed-cell foam - and hey, everybody has gaffer tape, right :D

OK, I've tried a rough and ready experiment on blocking the internal microphone with some closed cell foam. It really helps!

I cut a small cube approximately 5x 5 x 5 mm and taped it over the mic input hole with gaffer tape. The difference was considerable, although you could still just hear the finger clicks I was using as a rough test. But without the foam the finger clicks were loud enough to clip the input of the track.

Now I've got no data on the dB difference between the two tests but the difference was huge. All the tests were done in MultiTrack Daw, with the input set at 0dB. I might try using a metronome to try to quantify the difference more accurately, and upload the results to SoundCloud so you can judge for yourselves.

And this wasn't anything special in the foam - it was just some stuff I had laying around for another project. Nor was the gaffer tape anything special - in fact it's really cheap stuff, Norton Bear Brand, which is about as cheap and nasty as you can get.

I'm going to see if I can get some really high quality heavy duty acoustic closed cell foam, and my plan is to glue it over the mic hole using silicone sealant. I'll have to be really careful to make sure that the sealant doesn't get into the hole itself in case I ever want to remove the foam.

Of course, for a more permanent (and no doubt more effective method) you could also inject the mic hole with silicone sealant - a hypodermic syringe would probably do the job well. But I wouldn't like your chances of ever getting it out again.

Hope that this helps other people with this problem!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to hear it's working. I figured it was worth a try, but it is always better to have a real report. Thanks for letting us know how it worked.

OP
O

outbackyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever thought of an USB mic? I know people using it thru the usb acc. It disables the built-in mic.

Mac琵琶行 HD

Yes, I have, but I've got good mics already, and I don't want to use a delicate Condenser mic on location work. I'd need a pop-shield, a proper cradle mount, and wind and background noise would be a real problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
outbackyak said:
Yes, I have, but I've got good mics already, and I don't want to use a delicate Condenser mic on location work. I'd need a pop-shield, a proper cradle mount, and wind and background noise would be a real problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you've got decent mics already then the best solution might be a USB convertor like the Blue Icicle, plugged into the USB camera kit - should disable the built in mic and you get a decent analog-digital conversion rather than the iPad inbuilt circuits.

Most reactions

Latest posts