What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Search even work on this site?

Madreliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm finding the Search function on this site completely useless. I have searched by Keyword several times, and I always end up with the same list of discussions, regardless of my original Keyword! I have been better off Googling my exact question most times, and then I get the dialogue box saying there is an iPad Forum app. But why would I use it? I can't ever find my topic.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It works, but not too well. If you have searched and can't find what you want, feel free to start a new thread. The worst that will happen is you'll be shown a link to a previous answer, if one exists.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...just wondering what you are searching for and which key terms you have chosen?

Maybe we can help you out that way. The Search function is a bit finicky and limited and often times I have had to personally change to alternative MESH Terms in the advance setting to find somethings.

Let us know how we can help.

OP
M

Madreliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched recently for why my music was not showing up on my iPad. I found the answer on another site. Then, today, I was searching for a thread on how to get my iPhone camera roll onto my iPad. I found the answer on an Apple support community site, via Google.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think both of those topics would have had full justification for a new thread.

Offhand, I can't think of a thread that has asked or answered either of them.

And just because a question was asked a year ago, and never answered (because nobody who happened to read it knew the answer) doesn't mean it can't be asked again. There are many more members now and more likelihood of an answer.

If you have searched and not found what you were looking for, then fire away. It's a forum, not a search engine.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gosh, sorry that you couldn't find what you were looking for, but am happy that you found your answer. I went to try to do a search myself on your topics to see what I could find myself.

Not knowing specifically where your music came from which didn't show up on your iPad, I typed in your question: "why my music didn't get onto my iPad."

I came up with these: Why my music didn't get on iPad - Google Search

Also, here are a few threads from that search:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-3-forum/77382-transfer-audio-pc-ipad.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/15724-transfer-music-photos-without-itunes.html

Maybe this was your results or not, but wants to offer this just in case. :)

OP
M

Madreliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! Next time, if I can't find it, I'll start a new thread. I'm just learning the difference between a discussion and a forum!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! Next time, if I can't find it, I'll start a new thread. I'm just learning the difference between a discussion and a forum!

Yes, post up a question if needed. Though, glad to hear that you at least did a Search before posting your question.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Use the Custom Google search at the very top right of the website. Much better.

Or you can duplicate it, and then some, by using the advanced search with the main Google site. Limit your search to iPadforms.net, then add whatever other filters and/or keywords you want.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if madreliz did his/her search using the IPF app as well. That is very hard to find things using the app.

OP
M

Madreliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Skinmonkey, I started with the IPF app, and did the Search there first. Then I Googled my questions and one time was directed to the iPad forum site (right to the right topic), and the next time, I was directed to an Apple support discussion. That's what prompted my question.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Skinmonkey, I started with the IPF app, and did the Search there first. Then I Googled my questions and one time was directed to the iPad forum site (right to the right topic), and the next time, I was directed to an Apple support discussion. That's what prompted my question.

Hi Madreliz, I wondered about that with the app-because I had done the same with the app and went nowhere.

All in all, your question for posting your search issues was a valid one and will certainly help other members looking for specific topics. Glad you were able to find what you were looking for and also glad you are here!!

Best Wishes! :)

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if you can't find the topic you are searching for I always say just start a new thread. It doesn't hurt to ask and the mods here are too nice and won't come down on ya.

At least you made an effort to search. Most people don't and that's why there are so many topics that are repeated.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, it's a forum, not a search engine. Even if a question has been asked before, it may have been under a different version of the OS, or the posters problem might be subtly different. There are new members joining all the time, and someone may have an answer.

There are certain subjects that have been done to death, mentioning nothing in particular (Flash), but the majority of questions are fair game.

Don't forget, most people don't search for unanswered questions either, so it makes sense that a question will likely only get an answer while it's in the first couple of pages of the new topics list. And that is one reason we are so heavy on the bumping rule, which I'll repeat here. Too much bumping can wreck the forum so here's the reminder.

Reminder - Rule 4.3
4.3. Do not “bump” a post to attract attention to it. If, after 48 hours, you have not received a response on a question you may bump your post one (1) time. If you still do not receive a response send a private message (PM) to a moderator and ask for assistance. Bumping posts may subject the post to deletion.Please review all our forum rules here

Most reactions

Latest posts