What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad2 have stereo speakers?

OP
zen2go

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup, the sound system is like it's camera system. not designed to replace your home hi-fi box.

Understand. My question is more for using the iPad on the go, away from my home stereo system.

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zen2go said:
Of course I could use headphones. But the reason I asked is because sometimes I want to prop up the iPad for several people to watch a video together. I don't want to carry a set of powered external speakers with the iPad everywhere I go. (Who does??)

I'm not sure if any manufacturer has made a tablet with built-in stereo speakers in landscape mode. I would seriously consider buying such a device.

Why don't you buy a portable DVD player instead? You could all watch that instead and I'm sure you could get one with stereo speakers.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zen2go said:
Understand. My question is more for using the iPad on the go, away from my home stereo system.

Once again... FM transmitter is the answer at home or away. You just need a stereo FM radio to receive. This can be in a vehicle or lodging. I used an FM transmitter in Jamaica to blast my iTunes in the pool area of our rented villa. It charges the battery at the same time.

Sent on my iPad-2

OP
zen2go

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zen2go said:
Of course I could use headphones. But the reason I asked is because sometimes I want to prop up the iPad for several people to watch a video together. I don't want to carry a set of powered external speakers with the iPad everywhere I go. (Who does??)

I'm not sure if any manufacturer has made a tablet with built-in stereo speakers in landscape mode. I would seriously consider buying such a device.

Why don't you buy a portable DVD player instead?

iPF

Because DVD players cannot stream videos.

OP
zen2go

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zen2go said:

Once again... FM transmitter is the answer at home or away. You just need a stereo FM radio to receive. This can be in a vehicle or lodging. I used an FM transmitter in Jamaica to blast my iTunes in the pool area of our rented villa. It charges the battery at the same time.

Sent on my iPad-2

I have a Satechi Bluetooth A2DP FM transmitter which I use with my iPhone in one of my cars. It works great, but of course the sound is not as good as a direct line connection.

I also have a Logitech clip-on portable surround sound speakers which I use with my laptop. It sounds awesome, but problem is that it's USB only so I can't use it with my iPad.

On non-business trips I prefer to bring just the iPad and no laptop.

CraigF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, only mono.

This is incorrect. The ipad2 has two speakers placed side by side and they are stereo. Listen to a stereo song like "Love Me Do" by the Beatles and put something flat or your hand right in the middle of the speaker opening to separate out the two channels. You'll be amazed, it is stereo.

CraigF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, only mono.

Re: my last post... Sorry Live Me Do is in Mono. Choose a song you know is clearly in stereo. "Day Tripper" By the Beatles works well. If you cover the right side of the speaker grill, you can cut out Paul's voice, because it is only in the right channel.

JackPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it really matters with the internal speakers since you can't really get the fully stereo effect, but if you listen through earphones or speakers, it will be in stereo.

That makes total sense, but when I connect it to my sound system it plays mono...! Same system and connection cable works fine (stereo) with my Iphone. Any trick?

OP
zen2go

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re: my last post... Sorry Live Me Do is in Mono. Choose a song you know is clearly in stereo. "Day Tripper" By the Beatles works well. If you cover the right side of the speaker grill, you can cut out Paul's voice, because it is only in the right channel.

I find this hard to comprehend. Why would anyone design stereo speakers that sit right next to each other without enogh separation to creat the stereo effect?

Even the lowly Vizio tablet has three speakers in two stereo modes (portrait and landscape).

Most reactions

Latest posts