What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does the iPad1 have a hard drive?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Because the gps runs with the 3G. I was just saying I have never heard it called the gps model.

Oh, it doesn't need to.....if you have downloaded map on your iPad, you don't need 3G. I have not heard anyone else say gps model, either. But I wondered if the gps model might have a compass, which might have a magnet of some type inside.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
People call it the 3G, not GPS. Also, the GPS system runs on part of the 3G circuit- No 3G, no circuit = no GPS.

Gray, you bring your iPad into the shower? Won't it get wet? Mine doesn't, since its protected by a full-on case. I use it to play music, mostly. Do you wrap it in cling wrap? XD

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D

Maybe that's true on iPads but its not true in general. One doesn't imply the other.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Oh, it doesn't need to.....if you have downloaded map on your iPad, you don't need 3G. I have not heard anyone else say gps model, either. But I wondered if the gps model might have a compass, which might have a magnet of some type inside.

You still need 3G even if you have Maps. Mapping via Wi-Fi seems redundant since you can only get location if there are Wi-Fi APs around...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
You still need 3G even if you have Maps. Mapping via Wi-Fi seems redundant since you can only get location if there are Wi-Fi APs around...

That's only if you depend on software to download maps to the device. Something like Navigon let's you download all the maps to the device, so all you need for navigation is a gps signal. Gps does not require cellular to work.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
That's only if you depend on software to download maps to the device. Something like Navigon let's you download all the maps to the device, so all you need for navigation is a gps signal. Gps does not require cellular to work.

Yes, but GPS DOES require a global positioning system chip to receive signals. Possibly a SiRfStar V, or VI chip- which is available in the 3G iPads only. Without the chip, you cannot connect to the satellite, making your maps useless. The GPS chips in iPads share part of the same circuitry with the 3G radio. Hence no 3G = no GPS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Yes, but GPS DOES require a global positioning system chip to receive signals. Possibly a SiRfStar V, or VI chip- which is available in the 3G iPads only. Without the chip, you cannot connect to the satellite, making your maps useless. The GPS chips in iPads share part of the same circuitry with the 3G radio. Hence no 3G = no GPS.

I acknowledged that possibility up thread. Again, apple should have put a gps chip in the wifi iPads.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And maybe this will be also off topic but is there a possibility to pair up iPad 1 with a bluetooth gps device?

Agree! :(

First for new posters, do a search first of the question that is of interest to you and if an appropriate thread is found, then go ahead and post.

If not, then you need to really start a new thread - it is unlikely that more experienced posters who may be able to answer your question above will be reading deep into an unrelated thread or will just not respond for the reasons already stated.

Just trying to be helpful - :)

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still curious to know why mess around with a magnet, what exactly are you trying to do?

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Just 3 ziplock bags. Works great. :D

Can you not do without your ipad for the time it takes to have a shower?
Or are you into other water sports?

Most reactions