What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does the iPad1 have a hard drive?

DDWO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pondering applying a magnet to my ipad1. I have read here that the ipad1 does not have a hard drive, but I just called apple and the teenager I spoke with says they do have a hard drive. Can someone please confirm? PLEASE!:eek:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not have a moving / mechanical hard drive. It has flash storage.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hard drives traditionally use a rotating disk that stores information using magnetism. The iPad used a SSD (solid state drive) that stores information in a different manner.

OP
D

DDWO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magnets ok?

Thank you all for your responses. Just to clarify... by applying a magnet to my iPad1 (NOT ipad2) I am not putting my precious toy at ANY risk? I don't want to hurt her in anyway :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Just to clarify... by applying a magnet to my iPad1 (NOT ipad2) I am not putting my precious toy at ANY risk? I don't want to hurt her in anyway :)

Just curious - WHY do you want to apply a magnet to your iPad1 (pretty much the same question w/ the iPad2)?

Also, keep in mind that the 'smart covers' which many of us use attach magnetically to the side of the iPad - :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have the GPS model? And yeah, what's up with that magnet?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes....only the 3G model has gps.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know. Just most people (including apple) call it the 3G version. :)

True, but why did apple chose to put the GPS chip only in the 3G model? IMO that was a mistake.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Because the gps runs with the 3G. I was just saying I have never heard it called the gps model.

People call it the 3G, not GPS. Also, the GPS system runs on part of the 3G circuit- No 3G, no circuit = no GPS.

Gray, you bring your iPad into the shower? Won't it get wet? Mine doesn't, since its protected by a full-on case. I use it to play music, mostly. Do you wrap it in cling wrap? XD

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D

Most reactions