What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad update in increments?

sw339

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking the answer is no but just checking before I mess with my JB. When you go to update a new or restored iPad does it just prompt you to update to the newest or does it have incremental updates like 6.0, 6.1 etc where I can pick and choose?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your only choice is to update to the latest offering. In your case, this means do not update, because you WILL lose your JB. iOS 6.1.3 is not breakable, and probably never will be, since it appears that the devs are holding off any new jailbreak until iOS 7 is released. They apparently have some exploits which they don't want Apple to be able to patch ahead of iOS7.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking the answer is no but just checking before I mess with my JB. When you go to update a new or restored iPad does it just prompt you to update to the newest or does it have incremental updates like 6.0, 6.1 etc where I can pick and choose?

You can only update to the latest iOS version. You can't pick and choose among the previous released versions.
iOS updates are released as incremental updates, but each incremental update can only be downloaded during the time that it's currently the latest release. Once a new iOS update is released by Apple, the previous release is no longer signed, or authorized for downloading.

OP
S

sw339

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys I wont touch it then. From what I could see this was the case but I wanted to make certain. What if I restored my 3rd Gen iPad, wouldn't it revert to 6.0 where I could JB again? Just curious for furture reference. And I am not sure if it would revert to 6.0 or 5.0 I can't recall what it was on when I got it.

So the same goes if I get a new iPhone? I hear the Tmobile iPhone is shipping with 6.0, so if I don't jailbreak with that I will never be able to, correct?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The T Mobile iPhone 5's will have the latest iOS version available at the time the phones left the factory in China.

Most reactions