What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad 2 have a virtual keyboard with arrows?

agreenberg19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am accustomed to having arrows for non-destructive movement left and right in an input field. So far, I have had to point with my (fat) finger in a field in the approximate location and use the backspace key to move around and make corrections.

Thanks...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope - and I agree that its an oversight on their part. Even just a good old Delete key that deletes chars in front of it would be fabulous. Otherwise, I love typing on the ipad 2 keyboard. I hope they take care of it with a software update!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there are apps that will add that function to a keyboard, but not every keyboard function is possible or practical on a touchpad design.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am accustomed to having arrows for non-destructive movement left and right in an input field. So far, I have had to point with my (fat) finger in a field in the approximate location and use the backspace key to move around and make corrections.

Thanks...

Pardon me if you already know this (and just didn't mention it), but there is a function to allow you to "zoom in" on your typing to manipulate the cursor easier. Just tap and hold the screen and a little magnifying glass will pop up. Then, by watching what's showing in the magnifying glass, you can precisely put the cursor where you want.

No, it doesn't replace the arrow keys and I, for one, agree that Apple should have given us arrows. But, until Apple changes their minds and gives us arrow keys, maybe the magnifier will help?

Marilyn

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a bluetooth keyboard precisely because of the lack of 4 arrows. Couldn't take the tap-and-hold-and-zoom nonsense! Best thing I ever did- I'm wondering how I managed without this keyboard. I can even do ctrl-C, ctrl-V, all my usual shortcuts...run, don't walk, and get a BT keyboard.

anaurelix123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
agreenberg19 said:

Thanks...

No It dose not it only has the keys I have one in fact I'm using it right now

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Pardon me if you already know this (and just didn't mention it), but there is a function to allow you to "zoom in" on your typing to manipulate the cursor easier. Just tap and hold the screen and a little magnifying glass will pop up. Then, by watching what's showing in the magnifying glass, you can precisely put the cursor where you want.

No, it doesn't replace the arrow keys and I, for one, agree that Apple should have given us arrows. But, until Apple changes their minds and gives us arrow keys, maybe the magnifier will help?

Marilyn

Thanks for the reminder on the magnifying glass, it really does help when I don't have my keyboard handy.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As others have said there is not one which is very surprising. I would gladly pay for one that had the arrows and a layout like the 5 row keyboard in cydia.

bandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning I serched for this information ....the arrows on the keyboard...ups..thxs for reminding regarding magnifying glass. ..It was quite helpful to know one more missing feature. Cheers for everyone.

Autumn.Witch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a bluetooth keyboard precisely because of the lack of 4 arrows. Couldn't take the tap-and-hold-and-zoom nonsense! Best thing I ever did- I'm wondering how I managed without this keyboard. I can even do ctrl-C, ctrl-V, all my usual shortcuts...run, don't walk, and get a BT keyboard.

Details of the keyboard you bought would be very useful if you are willing to supply them. I'd love to have something like that to take the pain out of the arrowless typing that drives me mad.

Itamar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are keyboards with arrows but Apple in their wisdom do not allow these to work on all programs. They need to be opened in their own program and afterwards you have to copy and paste the text to the application you want it to appear in, for example email. Search in the AppStore for the word "keyboard". I suppose it is typical for Apple not to allow third parties to publish a better keyboard than they did. Bye

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs didn't like cursor keys, which forced us to use the mouse with the original Mac... I'm not a Mac or Apple fanboy. I wish there was a virtual keyboard with my iPad2. Cursor keys are what I like and prefer.

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Autumn.Witch said:
Details of the keyboard you bought would be very useful if you are willing to supply them. I'd love to have something like that to take the pain out of the arrowless typing that drives me mad.

It's the Kensington Keyfolio for iPad 2. I'm not allowed to post a link (not enough posts by me on this forum!) but go to amazon and you'll find it easily. The price changes every week, I swear. I got it for ~$40 on Black Friday, regular price is $100, but as of right now it is $60. Wonderful keyboard.

Zjrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife snagged an iHome bluetoth keyboard and cover for my birthday. I still use the virtual pad for short postings, but the external keyboard has the cursor keys and is very pleasant to type on. A touch small, but easy to use anyway.

TommyB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure the mods want this to turn into a keyboard review thread, but I bought the Belkin keyboard/folio after reading a lot of reviews, and I absolutely love it. I've been using it for a lot of things, even story writing, for about three weeks, and am extremely pleased. Just my two cents.

Most reactions