Does the iPad 2 have a virtual keyboard with arrows?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by agreenberg19, Dec 13, 2011.

1. agreenberg19

agreenberg19 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am accustomed to having arrows for non-destructive movement left and right in an input field. So far, I have had to point with my (fat) finger in a field in the approximate location and use the backspace key to move around and make corrections.

Thanks...
  2. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Nope - and I agree that its an oversight on their part. Even just a good old Delete key that deletes chars in front of it would be fabulous. Otherwise, I love typing on the ipad 2 keyboard. I hope they take care of it with a software update!
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I think there are apps that will add that function to a keyboard, but not every keyboard function is possible or practical on a touchpad design.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0
    Pardon me if you already know this (and just didn't mention it), but there is a function to allow you to "zoom in" on your typing to manipulate the cursor easier. Just tap and hold the screen and a little magnifying glass will pop up. Then, by watching what's showing in the magnifying glass, you can precisely put the cursor where you want.

No, it doesn't replace the arrow keys and I, for one, agree that Apple should have given us arrows. But, until Apple changes their minds and gives us arrow keys, maybe the magnifier will help?

Marilyn
  5. ssarmazi

ssarmazi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I bought a bluetooth keyboard precisely because of the lack of 4 arrows. Couldn't take the tap-and-hold-and-zoom nonsense! Best thing I ever did- I'm wondering how I managed without this keyboard. I can even do ctrl-C, ctrl-V, all my usual shortcuts...run, don't walk, and get a BT keyboard.
  6. anaurelix123

anaurelix123 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No It dose not it only has the keys I have one in fact I'm using it right now
  7. JewelGarden

JewelGarden iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Thanks for the reminder on the magnifying glass, it really does help when I don't have my keyboard handy.
  8. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    As others have said there is not one which is very surprising. I would gladly pay for one that had the arrows and a layout like the 5 row keyboard in cydia.
  9. bandy

bandy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This morning I serched for this information ....the arrows on the keyboard...ups..thxs for reminding regarding magnifying glass. ..It was quite helpful to know one more missing feature. Cheers for everyone.
  10. Autumn.Witch

Autumn.Witch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Details of the keyboard you bought would be very useful if you are willing to supply them. I'd love to have something like that to take the pain out of the arrowless typing that drives me mad.
  11. Itamar

Itamar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are keyboards with arrows but Apple in their wisdom do not allow these to work on all programs. They need to be opened in their own program and afterwards you have to copy and paste the text to the application you want it to appear in, for example email. Search in the AppStore for the word "keyboard". I suppose it is typical for Apple not to allow third parties to publish a better keyboard than they did. Bye
  12. Zjrog

Zjrog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve Jobs didn't like cursor keys, which forced us to use the mouse with the original Mac... I'm not a Mac or Apple fanboy. I wish there was a virtual keyboard with my iPad2. Cursor keys are what I like and prefer.
  13. ssarmazi

ssarmazi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's the Kensington Keyfolio for iPad 2. I'm not allowed to post a link (not enough posts by me on this forum!) but go to amazon and you'll find it easily. The price changes every week, I swear. I got it for ~$40 on Black Friday, regular price is $100, but as of right now it is $60. Wonderful keyboard.
  14. Zjrog

Zjrog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife snagged an iHome bluetoth keyboard and cover for my birthday. I still use the virtual pad for short postings, but the external keyboard has the cursor keys and is very pleasant to type on. A touch small, but easy to use anyway.
  15. TommyB

TommyB iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +464 / 0
    Not sure the mods want this to turn into a keyboard review thread, but I bought the Belkin keyboard/folio after reading a lot of reviews, and I absolutely love it. I've been using it for a lot of things, even story writing, for about three weeks, and am extremely pleased. Just my two cents.
  16. Zjrog

Zjrog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would have preferred a virtual keyboard with cursor keys. But the external keyboard is nice. Not having owned Apple products before, the lack of cursor keys was a little let down. So if a virtual keyboard with cursor keys does show up, I will try it. Too bad I'm not bright enough to write one myself.
  17. 5teve

5teve iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    DSCF1004.JPGDSCF1006.JPGDSCF1007.JPGDSCF1008.JPG

I have no idea how these will show on the thread. Maybe you will need to click on the picture to get a full size image (640 x 480)
    Anyway, the first one shows the iPad 2 clicked into place on the Bluetooth keyboard so that the screen is protected when the iPad 2 is not in use. The second and third snaps are of either side of the keyboard to show all the keys and the last one is just the iPad 2 and keyboard set up for typing. If you wish, the iPad 2 can be up to 10 feet away from the keyboard but the slope is just nice for letting you see the screen at the correct angle.
    How much? £19.99 on eBay.uk with free postage.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    ps ... just so you know that I am not an eBay seller with lots of Bluetooth keyboards to get rid of, check my eBay feedback and you'll see that I bought it about 3 weeks ago and it ain't for sale, lol.
    eBay ID is stevie_blunder**