What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iOS 5.01 speed up your iPad 1?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, but you get those nice gestures when you upgrade. I had already done the workaround under the earlier (pre 5.0 ) version of iOS and liked them, so I was disappointed that they didn't work in 5.0, but said what the heck, they aren't that useful anyway. But they came back with 5.0 and--know what? They are great! And much smoother than the "hotrodded" versions.
+1 on that. Turns out I really missed the gestures...plus now I don't look so sheepish in front of others when I swipe my fingers this way or that on the screen...now something magical actually happens! :D

swift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
+1 on that. Turns out I really missed the gestures...plus now I don't look so sheepish in front of others when I swipe my fingers this way or that on the screen...now something magical actually happens! :D

I've been following this thread about wifi speed with So version 5.0.1. I would suggest one should check your speed on your PC first using speedtest.net making sure all other programmes are switched off, then run speedtest app on you IPad. The results should be similar. I'm fortunate to live in an area with a high broadband speed.

Things I can't get in my IPad 1. :- No split screen, Contact groups still not possible (only groups available are IPad, ICloud, All contacts) so I still use my 12 year old Palm T3.

I run windows XP, ICloud not available on XP. Shame? A lot of use still run on XP.

camaroz1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about speed but battery life is terrible after updating to 5.0.1. It was great on 5.0.

Example: I locked my ipad with 56% battery left about 11PM Wed. night. I put it on the shelf and didn't touch it until about 6PM last night, and it was down to 30%. I played some games, checked email, and browsed the web and it was down to 17% when I was done using it at about 11 (didn't use constantly, just off and on). I wonder if it will be dead when I get home tonight.

I hope Apple fixes this quickly!! I like the gestures, but they aren't worth the decreased battery life. I would gladly revert back to 5.0

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about speed but battery life is terrible after updating to 5.0.1. It was great on 5.0.

Example: I locked my ipad with 56% battery left about 11PM Wed. night. I put it on the shelf and didn't touch it until about 6PM last night, and it was down to 30%. I played some games, checked email, and browsed the web and it was down to 17% when I was done using it at about 11 (didn't use constantly, just off and on). I wonder if it will be dead when I get home tonight.

I hope Apple fixes this quickly!! I like the gestures, but they aren't worth the decreased battery life. I would gladly revert back to 5.0
See my response to your same complaint about battery life here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/53289-apple-releases-update-5-0-1-everyone-includes-bug-fixes-battery-improvements-3.html#post370793

Last edited:

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although my iPad is 3G and WIFI, I have turned on the " Airplane mode" as I have never activated my 3G account and this action has made my battery last longer. You can turn on your Blue tooth and WIFI while the airplane mode is on. I am on 5.0.1

Most reactions

Latest posts