1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Does the email program suck or is it just me?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by colorado_scott, Jun 8, 2012.

1. colorado_scott

colorado_scott iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a new iPad user, I find the apple email program lacking (a lot). I mean its awful. All email programs I look up cost money. Am I missing something? No folders, all email sits on top, how do people use this program? I'd sure like to find a program similar to Outlook and not pay $10 for it.

Scott
  2. Verndog

Verndog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not just you, it definitely is weak. If someone has a suggestion for a better app I wouldn't mind paying for it just so long as it works well. Anyone??
  3. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    I personally like the simplicity.
  4. michali

michali iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I don't have a problem with it. I have three accounts on it and find it easy to navigate but there again, I do not need folders.
  5. colorado_scott

colorado_scott iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, some will like it, others not. I don't.
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,022 / 0
    I am pleased with the Native Mail App. I have 4 accounts and works well with syncing contacts, calendars and getting emails. I have had no issues since I bought my iPad back in September last year.
  7. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I don't think it is by any means unusable, however I do prefer the gmail app for my needs.
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001 / 1
    If you have IMAP or Exchange accounts, you can create and use folders. POP3 is more limited.

Not surprisingly, iCloud (@me.com) accounts are the most flexible.
  9. cherapin

cherapin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think that's the nature of the platform. What features are you looking for that is lacking in the Mail program? If you are doing business, desktop/laptop mailing is still the way to go. Tablet/iphone is for casual or on-the-go emailing...
  10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I have folders on mine. But I don't think of using my iPad for long-term email storage. I use PCs for that. You'll quickly eat up storage space if you plan to store emails long term on the iPad.
  11. kippyw

kippyw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OK, Sorry in advance for noobie question. I use IMAP, and on all my devices email never uses HD space. I'm brand new to ipads. I looked in "Settings/General/Storage" and "Settings/Email" and can't find usage amounts. Is email stored on my iPad? I have email set for "Show 50 most recent".
    Back to the original post question: With IMAP (Fastmail.com) ALL my folders are perfect, contacts too, all fetched from IMAP. Only way to go. Cost $9.00 per year.
    Thank You
  12. michali

michali iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I think you are right about imap storage...surely we would only be storing anything we download from email, docs, photos, etc? Not the emails themselves?
  13. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001 / 1
    I did not mean to suggest that IMAP and Exchange accounts had local folders. Most folders are on the server. However, if you dig into the advanced settings for some of the IMAP accounts you will find an option to set the location of one or more of these folders: Sent, Draft, Deleted.

I keep mine on the server.

While I realize that there are online use cases for email, I rarely run into one.
  14. mdanehart

mdanehart iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I prefer the Xfinity Mobile email, text service over the stock IPad, an addition one can delete all emails at one shot..
  15. nkbh

nkbh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you're right, the native email program sucks! One can't even attach files when you have started an email message, neither can you attach multiple files. Heck, try responding to an email and attaching something...
  16. mikedeanellis

mikedeanellis iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My issue with it is it does not allow you to put due dates on flags.
  17. Grytpype

Grytpype Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sucks big time. As mentioned above, it's dumb to have to attach the email to an attachment rather than the other way round. As well as that, there's no formatting beyond bold/italic/underline, there's unnecessary and distracting highlighting of dates etc that it thinks should be links, you can't create new folders (you have to do that on your PC) and worst of all (for me, anyway) you can't collapse/expand folders. I have to work with a lot of folders and sub-folders for storing emails, and scrolling down through my non-collapsible list takes ages.

It's a truly crappy and basic app, like most of the native Apple offerings. It's even more annoying than the native Calendar app, and you have to work very hard to be worse than that.
  18. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Attaching to emails is the opposite of what people expect is their normal way on Windows. There is a good reason though. Because files are stored in or by app rather than a traditional file system (sand boxing), they need to be pushed "out" to the email app rather than pulled "in" to the email app. It is not the app itself, it is iOS. I could not foresee any other email app could do it either.
  19. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001 / 1
    Which is why many people are transitioning to using a cloud file service to upload their files, then emailing the links. Lots of savvy Android users, who don't have this iOS limitation, are fond of DropBox and it's ilk, and use it this way.

Small emails with links are fast. They don't take minutes to upload and half a day to get delivered on a slow connection.

Recipients can download stuff when they need them.

You can organize entire folders (easier on Box.com), instead of patching together another email each time you want to send the same files.

Even if you use an alternate email app, it will work better if you don't have to mess with attachments.

Sometimes change, even when you didn't want to change, is good. It's not just about iOS. This is where file sharing is going.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  20. nkbh

nkbh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed, however I do feel it is rudimentary to have to go to each app, locate file and then attach. There have been plenty of times I have started an email only to realize the need to attach a file. Apple is supposed to make things easier, not frustrating. In anycase, how does one attach a file when responding to emails?