What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does "Setup as a new iPad" delete everything?

elektrokuter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a friend who has an ipad and got it activated in the store and never has synced it with a computer because he didn't have one at the time.

Upon first hooking up his ipad to his new computer its asking him to "Setup as a new ipad".

What happens if he does this step when theres never been a backup of his iPad before? He has notes and app purchases he'd like to not lose and I wasn't able to tell him what would happen. (yeah I'm the go-to tech guy haha)

Anyways thanks a lot for any help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There should also have been an option to Transfer Purchases. That is the option he should chose. If it was not offered, then hit the cancel option, right click on the iPad under the device listing and chose Transfer Purchases from there.

If you look at the Transfer Purchase option on this Apple help page, it will give you more detailed instructions. It should move not only music but your apps and books too, as long as they were purchased through the iTunes or App Store. Be sure to check iTunes after the transfer and make sure it all made it into the iTunes library before doing your first sync.

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kind of a related question, although not quite the same: if I sync a new iPad or iPhone with my existing computer's iTunes where all my old iPad music, photos, movies & apps are stored, will all that stuff be transferred to the new iPad just like the old one? And will that then refuse to recognise the old iPad any more and wipe it empty?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can sync up to five devices with the same iTunes account, and they will share all your apps, music, etc. By going into the sync settings with each device while it is connected to iTunes you can turn on/off what you want to sync with that device.

You will lose nothing on the devices or iTunes.

Reaction score
DM51 said:
Kind of a related question, although not quite the same: if I sync a new iPad or iPhone with my existing computer's iTunes where all my old iPad music, photos, movies & apps are stored, will all that stuff be transferred to the new iPad just like the old one? And will that then refuse to recognise the old iPad any more and wipe it empty?

For a hassle-free experience:
1) backup iPad 1
2) connect iPad 2 and select to restore on the iPad main page in iTunes.

Now just wait a few hours, once you come back, your iPad 2 will have exactly the same software & settings as the iPad 1. You can connect unlimited iOS devices with iTunes, all running your purchased content. The restriction to 5 devices means that you can activate iTunes on 5 different PC's/Mac's with your account, however each of these iTunes can have an unlimited number of iOS devices connected to them.

Bottom-line, you can use your two ipad's simultaneously and still sync both.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DM51 said:

1) backup iPad 1

Now just wait a few hours, once you come back, your iPad 2 will have exactly the same software & settings as the iPad 1. You can connect unlimited iOS devices with iTunes, all running your purchased content. The restriction to 5 devices means that you can activate iTunes on 5 different PC's/Mac's with your account, however each of these iTunes can have an unlimited number of iOS devices connected to them.

Good catch. That is what I intend to do when I finally get my iPad 2. Except I'll be restoring the old one and setting it up with a new account for Mom. I thought about sharing apps, but decided it would be better if she has her own account incase I end up leaving the area. I'll buy her a gift card instead and walk her through some essential app downloads.

Bren6269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
1) backup iPad 1

This question is along the same lines.

Recently I had to perform a hard re-boot on my Dell inspiration windows 7 laptop. In doing so I re installed ITunes only to find no library or music. I tried to sync my IPad to no avail. Message states that this iPad is signed to another computer. If I continue I will wipe the IPad clear of all my music.

What to do. Can I transfer my music from the laptop to ITunes and how do I have the laptop recognize my IPad.

Any body? Please

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bren6269

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bren6269 said:
This question is along the same lines.

Recently I had to perform a hard re-boot on my Dell inspiration windows 7 laptop. In doing so I re installed ITunes only to find no library or music. I tried to sync my IPad to no avail. Message states that this iPad is signed to another computer. If I continue I will wipe the IPad clear of all my music.

What to do. Can I transfer my music from the laptop to ITunes and how do I have the laptop recognize my IPad.

Any body? Please

Not in ITunes, but it's present in windows media player. Also will a hard reboot of the iPad enable me to reestablish a sync with the laptop as a new Ipad. Thus saving the present music library on the IPad along with google contacts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, your Google contacts are safe on Google. You can get them back any time just by creating your account on the iPad again. Don't worry about it.

If all your music and stuff is on the iPad, then I'd try the Transfer Purchaces option, double check to see if it all gets into iTunes, and manually mail any files in apps you want to save to the computer.

Then go ahead and let it connect the iPad as new device and sync it again, if it still insists on that.

You'll have to add your Google Account again, but nothing will be lost there.

If everything is not on the iPad it could get complicated, but this should work, if painfully.

After you get the iPad setup Import your Media files into iTunes using the Add to Library option under the files menu. If you don't want the files copied to the iTunes library go into iTunes Preferences, Advanced tab, and turn off the appropriate features.

This has a good chance of doubling a lot of songs which you will have to go back and cleanup later.

I don't have a nice clean solution for you. I keep all my stuff in iTunes, so I've got very limited experience dealing with multiple music sources. Maybe someone else will wander in with better options.

Most reactions

Latest posts