What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Mail compress photos?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if Mail compresses photos when they are sent?

Yesterday I imported 3 photos using my Camera Connection Kit. When I selected them and chose the Email option it opened up Mail and inserted the photos Ok, but the total was just over 12MB. I didn't know if there was any restriction on file sizes so I presses send anyway.

Unfortunately everything locked up. I waited for over half an hour to see if it cleared, but no joy. I killed off Mail, but when I restarted it again it was just the same. In the end I shut it right down by holding the power and home key, but then I just had a black screen with the spinning circle. I left it spinning for another 15 minutes and in the end I had to hold the power button down again.

When I restarted it my email had disappeared.

I wrote the email again, but this time i made copes of the photos and resized them

Did I do something wrong?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
Harters

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Mail does not compress images automatically. But when you are writing the email, you can touch on 'Cc/Bcc' and the menu will expand, where you can than choose at what size the photos sould be send.

Wow what a brilliant tip, thank you very much :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Harters said:
I was wondering if Mail compresses photos when they are sent?

Yesterday I imported 3 photos using my Camera Connection Kit. When I selected them and chose the Email option it opened up Mail and inserted the photos Ok, but the total was just over 12MB. I didn't know if there was any restriction on file sizes so I presses send anyway.

Unfortunately everything locked up. I waited for over half an hour to see if it cleared, but no joy. I killed off Mail, but when I restarted it again it was just the same. In the end I shut it right down by holding the power and home key, but then I just had a black screen with the spinning circle. I left it spinning for another 15 minutes and in the end I had to hold the power button down again.

When I restarted it my email had disappeared.

I wrote the email again, but this time i made copes of the photos and resized them

Did I do something wrong?

Also depends on your isp's size limit for email attachments...I have comcast which is 12mb limit...I think.

Most reactions