What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does ipad retain a record of all your activity?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know a pc does this even if you delete everything until the HD is overwritten. I was just wondering where the ipad keeps this info if indeed it does & can you download a program for investigating the said activity?
( This is merely a simple question so no need to quiz me about visiting illegal websites etc as I already know the ISP spy on you in UK!)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A PC doesn't contain a record of all of your activity, though it doesn't actually remove files when you delete -- the information stays on the hard drive (magnetic storage) unless you scrub it or the it is written over carefully. I would expect an iPad to be the same with the difference that it does not use magnetic storage media like a magnetic hard drive, but the storage is likely persistant. On a PC there are programs that can scan a magnetic hard drive and pull off all data that has been released by the file system. I see no reason this could not be done on an iPad, but you'd probably have to jail break it to do so. Solid state memory could be programmed to actually erase itself, so it is not exactly like magnetic memory, which leaves a residual magnetized state that could be deleted long after the data has been erased.

An iPad doesn't record your activity, though. This is different than storing various kinds of information.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes that is what I meant! So a forensic analysis of your ipad could in theory at least, reveal your browsing history?

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think that would prevent an analysis of your browsing history,.............................................

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't think that would prevent an analysis of your browsing history,.............................................

Since it stops the recording of the history in the first place, it should be relatively effective. I suppose there will be some traces of the websites visited left somewhere (bits of text, images). I doubt they could be used to construct more than fragments of what you did. But without a detailed knowledge of how each browser works I don't know how much might linger.

Also, with the iPad's more limited storage space, old data is going to be overwritten much more quickly than it would on a computer.

All in all, I'd say your private browsing history is safe from all but very sophisticated determined data forensics.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A forensic examination of your activities is likely to take place at a much higher level than your hardware. Just saw a program on CBC last night about a guy who was busted for spying. The authorities monitored him by tracking his activities on the net. Part of the program concentrated on the fact that they actually didn't know what data he has stolen. Part of his plea bargain is to work with the authorities to tell them what he did.

Most reactions

Latest posts