What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does iPad 2 Cases really mess up the proximity sensor. Pong Research says Yes.

Tecknowledge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There this company called Pong research and they claim to have the best iPad 2 case because it reduces radiowaves to the brain and its, suppose to increase 3G speeds, (something to the effect of) being that 50 percent or more of the radiation we absorb it, but with the pong research iPad 2 case it puts the signal towards the 3G speeds.

Unlike other iPad 2 cases they mess up the proximity sensor on the device which reduces the signal because when the iPad 2 is next to u the speeds reduce with the pong case it redirects the signal to be used for data transfer rate.

What do u think and what do u think about this company Pong research.

bob2200

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very skeptical. And I am a retired Electrical Engineer who worked in this area.

They claim the iPad has a sensor that reduces output power when it senses a body within 1/2" (10mm) of the sensor on the case. That might make sense for an iPhone, but who puts an iPad up within 1/2" of the body?

I sense some inconsistency in that they seem to indicate that they are unblocking the iPad signal. On the other hand, they seem to be blocking the iPhone signal from the head, which would seem to trigger any sensor looking for a body within1/2", and thus reduce signal output.

I really am skeptical.

Last edited:

Pong Research

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pongresearch.com
We at Pong Research appreciate your skepticism, which is why we were delighted when Wired's Gadget Lab put our Pong Cases to the test! We encourage you to examine the results. (Since this is our first post, we can't include a link to the article -- but you can easily find it by Googling the title: Can a $100 iPad Case Improve 3G Data Power? Lab Test!)

Please feel free to contact us Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

with any questions you may have -- or you can ask them here -- we'll be sure to follow up! Thanks!

Marisa

doc.zed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wear a tinfoil hat when I use the ipad or microwave so I think im okay..

Cobra Jet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very skeptical. And I am a retired Electrical Engineer who worked in this area.

They claim the iPad has a sensor that reduces output power when it senses a body within 1/2" (10mm) of the sensor on the case. That might make sense for an iPhone, but who puts an iPad up within 1/2" of the body?

Well, if you are sitting down and have an iPad in your lap, or lying in bed with it on your chest (or lap), I'd guarantee it's within 1/2" of your body, if not physically touching the users body due to design and typical use by the typical consumer.

Live life, stop worrying about the what ifs, everyone dies some day and people have been exposed to radiation the minute they walk out of their homes and are hit by sun rays, for eons.... Not to mention being exposed to such during our daily drive along and under suspended street wires, transformers, sitting in front of tvs, driving past power stations, nuke plants, using a microwave, etc etc etc...

If you're that concerned with radiation from your device, put it down and hide.... LOL....

Most reactions

Latest posts