What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Atomic Web Browser "spy" on you?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read somewhere that certain apps can "see" what you are typing and store it or send it to the developer for malicious reasons. Anyone know if this is true? I know on smartphones when you use another keyboard like Swype the screen will come up with a warning telling you "they" can see what you are typing so I always switch back to the native keyboard when typing passwords. Any possibility of that with Atomic or other apps?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Any possibility of that with Atomic or other apps?

That's the first I've heard of this - did you read about this somewhere, or is this just a speculative question?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple have a very rigorous App approval system. You simply cannot get apps into the app store that do stuff like this. It is one of the prime advantages of the Apple walled garden / big brother approach.
There is no way Atomic or any other app is capturing your key strokes and sending them back to base.
You have nothing to worry about...

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
That's the first I've heard of this - did you read about this somewhere, or is this just a speculative question?

Definitely read it somewhere but not sure where now. I had downloaded an app which asked for my google credentials and shortly after that I read about the possibility that this could occur AND I was hacked through google account, could be totally coincidence but I removed the app. I also was wondering since I get those warnings on my HTC Thunderbolt about not using Swype so I can keep my information confidential.

See this link as one example http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1128627

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a legitimate question and one that has concerned me too, especially when one reads the second post in the link you provided. If Apple is in fact, *not* screening the apps for malware, eventually something is bound to happen. I don't think I would worry about Atomic or the better known apps though.

Interesting about the oAuth technology...

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
P.S. Up until this point I had been assuming that what f4780y had indicated was indeed one of the walled garden's benefits. It would be interesting to know if Apple has ever addressed this security aspect of the AppStore...

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
There's no tell tail packets outgoing through my firewall. This isn't really going to happen.

As for 3G ? I couldn't say as security is non existent with it. I still say no, especially in today's age where this type of spying is a big no no.

Azhrei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At last year's BlackHat conference about two dozens laptops were demonstrated as "hackable" with no requirement other than the wireless card be turned on! The laptops were from four different vendors although all of them used Broadcom chips, IIRC.

I don't know that it has any (direct) bearing on the iPad, but let's just say that if *you* can get access to the device then so can others. It's obviously safer to not let your device record your usernames or passwords for you, even though it's a PITA to have to type them all the time. (I compromise and let the device keep my username, but then I choose really good passwords. ;))

Most reactions

Latest posts