What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone still use the phonebook?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T just delivered our "real' Yellow Pages phone book to our doorstep. I usually take ours to our office and slap it in the Resource Library.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, yeah its a joke now. Yellow pages has a website, an android and iPhone app as well! So even they know noone uses it! I don't understand why they waste the paper and distribute them unsolicited when only 10% of people even use them (spelled extremely old people!)...you should have to subscribe.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the same people that write checks at the grocery store!

My mother used to put the out-going white and yellow pages in the trunk of her car when the new ones came in. (Thank goodness she doesn't drive any more!). She said, "You never know when you might need it!" Well a couple of months ago my car broke down on the highway. I knew what towing company I wanted to call (you commit these things to memory when you have a 20 year old Corvette!), but I didn't remember the number. So I whip out my trusty BlackBerry, Google the name of the company, it brings up their "phone book" page, I scroll over their phone number and press Enter and it dials the number!

Now I am not a "tree hugger", but it does seem like a waste to kill all those trees in this day and age. You should be able to opt-out.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the same people that write checks at the grocery store!

My mother used to put the out-going white and yellow pages in the trunk of her car when the new ones came in. (Thank goodness she doesn't drive any more!). She said, "You never know when you might need it!" Well a couple of months ago my car broke down on the highway. I knew what towing company I wanted to call (you commit these things to memory when you have a 20 year old Corvette!), but I didn't remember the number. So I whip out my trusty BlackBerry, Google the name of the company, it brings up their "phone book" page, I scroll over their phone number and press Enter and it dials the number!

Now I am not a "tree hugger", but it does seem like a waste to kill all those trees in this day and age. You should be able to opt-out.

Oh man, check writers kill me! And you can always tell before they whip out the checkbook!

Yes, smartphones being so prevalent and home pc's are the #1 reason why phone books are completely redundant and a waste of paper.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you even get them in the UK now.

As you've mentioned it, they're talking about scrapping cheques *ahem* because no one uses them either. Practically no shops accept them anymore.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
They go straight into the recycle bin.

Clearly the printing costs are not that high if they keep printing them. At some point the advertisers will realize that no one uses them and will stop paying. I can't imagine they will be around in a decade.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i used to use the old ones for driveing in the winter time for extras wieght in the trunk unit..

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People still use them, for a different purpose though :D

I remember using them as a temporary aerobic stepper! Lol

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Henry, why do you need extra weight in your trunk in the winter?
when i met my wife she was driveing a chevy vega two door hatchback that she had and she would drive around in the cold and snowy Chicago Ill winters ..she would put two taped togerther chicago phone books on each side of the trunk to help with the weight along a bag of cat litter over the axe area..she taught me a few tricks about driveing in the snow and bad weather .. when went south in the little vega she was laughing for we had packed like a band of rednecks with stuff on the roof and in the trunk for our trip down to home

VapnRealtor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do. Yellow pages are really fun to browse when your board and can be funny too especially when you astart tinkjing about these ad guys funny sense of humor. Makes jim Carey seem boring.

VR

Most reactions

Latest posts