What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone love the iPad but hate other Apple products (such as the iMac)?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I briefly owned an iMac (2011 version) but really didn't like using it at all. I found myself going back to my Windows desktop all the time and luckily the iMac was still in its return period so returned it back. I can't say anything about the Macbook (the laptop) since I've never owned one.

However, I love the iPad and everything about it. I can't believe the difference in user experience between an iPad and iMac, but then again, I've used a Windows system for years so maybe I couldn't get use to the iMac and isn't really all that bad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hate is a little strong of a word :). But yes, I prefer my Windows based systems to any Mac ones I've used. I have a nice, fat Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 and some beefy hardware. She's a beast. Also weighs as much as a small car.

I don't care for fancy cell phones or them touch things either. The iPad is the epitome of perfection for what it is. It does exactly what it was designed for and does it all very well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like iPad, iPhone and touch, but I don't care for Macs. I recently bought and returned a MacBook Pro. It turned out that I prefer Windows, so I've ended up with another ThinkPad.

wxman2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the ipad and my iMac. To me there is nothing worse than Windows and the cheaply built pc world. Over the years, had nothing but problems with Windows and PC's. Switched to Mac a few years ago and nothing operates more smoothly than a macbook or imac. It just works everytime you use it. No crashes, no lock ups, no slow downs. Don't have to worry about all that crapware, Windows slow down anti virus software, compatibility issues and so on.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my first Mac (27" iMac i5 3.1 GHz) after loving my iPad so much.

I have been a die hard windows user for years, but I absolutely love my iMac and no way would I go back to windows. I have found there is nothing I can't do or get on my Mac and it's a way better user experience in my opinion :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ricobeg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad is actually a wonderful piece. I just can't live a day without it. Am not too in the know about the iMac.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i would never ever go back to windows,i love my mbp,took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but once i did that was it,love my ipad2,got the 4s a few weeks ago and like that too,never had any trouble with my android phone tho,love the music player in 4s,beats any music player i had before.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned a MacBook and used desktops before, I definitely think OS X is better made than Windows and their computers seem to be more finely made than most pc manufacturers. All the same I don't feel the need to upgrade to one of their systems especially since the iPad (and now iPhone) where I can do most of my computing mobile.

I bought a cheaper PC with comparable specs for way less and I don't feel the lack. It helps that Windows 7 is the first version that isn't craptastic.

However, nothing compares to the iPad and I think Apple knows that, their operating system is moving closer and closer to iOS.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am the other way around. I really like my little macbook air. On the other hand, while I have adjusted to the iPad (iOS, actually) and will continue to use it, I am less enamored with it.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave up the frozen blue screens and world full of viruses of windows 5 years ago and have never been happier. I must have
Converted over 100 friends and family to kick their old and distant windows to embrace the coolness and easier operating of Mac.
Windows 95 was the last of MS days and since then one poor product after another.
I must have saved a ton of money by not spending a dime on virus protections on my IMac (s) , Mac pro, Mac Air and now IPhone, IPad and it ouch. Plain and simple Mac just works and windows just follow.

Remember the horrible and unstable days of:
Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows 2000
Vista
They took for ever to load and over 5 to 10 g of hard drive space with a 300 page book on how to use them

The last OSX (lLion) cost 29.99, took 30 minutes to load with 5 pages of instructions and because it is an efficient OS I gained 10 g on my hard drive.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never owned a Mac and never will in the near future, I have a Windows 7 laptop with a 1080p screen which is rock solid and awesome for photo editing. The two things stopping me from going for a Mac are pricing and the lack of some software. I like the idea of one though as my Iphone 4, Touch and iPad 2 just work so well.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
A couple weeks is not nearly enough for someone to really get used to a completely new operating system and way of thinking. Especially if there are years of doing things one way. This is true of any OS move; Win to Linux (each flavor has its own issues), Win to OSX, UNiX to Anything and vice versa for all... When, after 16 years in the Windows/Linuix/UNiX world I switched over to OSX it took me about 6 weeks to get 95% up to speed for daily use. I love making those switches and trying out new operating systems. There is no difference between the iMac, MBP, MacMini when it comes to using them. The OS is the same.

When it comes to needing software that isn't available on OSX - Bootcamp with Win7. I am still working in Win7 for 3 pieces of software (CS3, Sony Vegas 10, DVDFab Pro) so I boot into Windows when I need those. In fact, Bootcamp was the final decision maker for me to switch. Since I was looking at a $4600 Win laptop for photo/video production, the top 17" MBP was $3400 it was a no brainer.

BTW, I had the iPad a lot longer then my MBP - got the iPad in September 2010, MBP April 2011.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am the other way around. I really like my little macbook air. On the other hand, while I have adjusted to the iPad (iOS, actually) and will continue to use it, I am less enamored with it.

Ditto this. I replaced my G4 mini with an i5 this summer. But I'm pretty lukewarm on my iPad 1 - my daughter uses it more than i do. But I also have 3 PCs and a netbook running Win7 as well. So I wouldn't say I prefer OS X, I just use them for different things.

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After lots of persuaision from my son i eventually moved to a MacBook approx 6 months ago.
It took me a while to get used to it and I can't ever see me going back to windows. Love the speed and the easier interface of the operating system on the MacBook.
Ok there are some bits of software you can't get for mac that have been annoying ( like watching 3pm football on a saturday via sopcast)but I kept my old Sony viao for when I need to do this.
Also got an iPad which works great in conjunction with my macbook via the new iCloud.
My son is now telling me I must now get an iPhone4s. When I mentioned that's a great idea for a Christmas present he went very quiet and went home.

Cheers
Ash

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I gave up the frozen blue screens and world full of viruses of windows 5 years ago and have never been happier. I must have
Converted over 100 friends and family to kick their old and distant windows to embrace the coolness and easier operating of Mac.
Windows 95 was the last of MS days and since then one poor product after another.
I must have saved a ton of money by not spending a dime on virus protections on my IMac (s) , Mac pro, Mac Air and now IPhone, IPad and it ouch. Plain and simple Mac just works and windows just follow.

Remember the horrible and unstable days of:
Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows 2000
Vista
They took for ever to load and over 5 to 10 g of hard drive space with a 300 page book on how to use them

The last OSX (lLion) cost 29.99, took 30 minutes to load with 5 pages of instructions and because it is an efficient OS I gained 10 g on my hard drive.

In fairness, Windows 7 professional has been rock-solid for me and many other people. I agree that those OSs you mentioned were dodgy but Apple has had a few OS releases that they werent to proud of either. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts