What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know if there is an Access-like app available for iPad ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard Airtable mentioned, favorably, in a few blogs and podcasts.

For a simple, flat, form based solution,FormConnect does ok.

I am not aware of anything with the full power and flexibility of Access.

OP
Walid Azizi

Walid Azizi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard Airtable mentioned, favorably, in a few blogs and podcasts.

I am not aware of anything with the full power and flexibility of Access.
I downloaded AirTable! Thanks! I will try working with it and give feedback :D

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I am not aware of anything with the full power and flexibility of Access - AGREE!

@ OP - well, there really is not an Access equivalent for OS X, so unlikely as stated above that anything w/ the power & features would exist for the iPad - when I migrated from PCs to Macs 3 years ago, I had a half dozen databases (DBs) in Access on my PCs - two of these DBs had printouts of 40+ & 60+ pages each, and the output features for formatting were just outstanding - w/o running Windows on my Macs and using Access, I could not find a solution - FileMaker for OS X could not directly import *.mdb files and was $300 for the app and did not have the report/output features I needed - still have not found a good solution.

So, you might want to tell us your needs for an Access equivalent on an iOS device - you're not going to really get anything close if you really need some of the advanced features of this MS product. My two larger DBs (personal music CDs - classical & non-classical), now have numerous write-in additions and subtractions w/o an immediate solution, except to find a PC w/ Access and make the changes there? BUT, I'm all ears! ;) Dave

OP
Walid Azizi

Walid Azizi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ OP - well, there really is not an Access equivalent for OS X, so unlikely as stated above that anything w/ the power & features would exist for the iPad - when I migrated from PCs to Macs 3 years ago, I had a half dozen databases (DBs) in Access on my PCs - two of these DBs had printouts of 40+ & 60+ pages each, and the output features for formatting were just outstanding - w/o running Windows on my Macs and using Access, I could not find a solution - FileMaker for OS X could not directly import *.mdb files and was $300 for the app and did not have the report/output features I needed - still have not found a good solution.

So, you might want to tell us your needs for an Access equivalent on an iOS device - you're not going to really get anything close if you really need some of the advanced features of this MS product. My two larger DBs (personal music CDs - classical & non-classical), now have numerous write-in additions and subtractions w/o an immediate solution, except to find a PC w/ Access and make the changes there? BUT, I'm all ears! ;) Dave

Here is the thing, I've an iPad Air 2 which I usually use for games and internet browsing. Never had a problem however school started and I needed my iPad more for homework and projects making ( thanks you Apple for you office apps that came free ). Long story short, I have a project which needs a template that can be filled with informations for each topic. I wont use Pages because someone can mess with the files and we won't print or write with hands. Access seems to be the only solution. If you ask, I have a PC who runs win10 but is old and slow and never portable like an iPad. Even my iPad Air 2 is faster!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is the thing, I've an iPad Air 2 which I usually use for games and internet browsing. Never had a problem however school started and I needed my iPad more for homework and projects making ( thanks you Apple for you office apps that came free ). Long story short, I have a project which needs a template that can be filled with informations for each topic. I wont use Pages because someone can mess with the files and we won't print or write with hands. Access seems to be the only solution. If you ask, I have a PC who runs win10 but is old and slow and never portable like an iPad. Even my iPad Air 2 is faster!

Hmm, I'm not completely sure of what you are describing, but it sounds like FormConnect might do what you want. Basically you build a form with different fields, and that becomes your database entry and viewing template. You can export forms as PDF as well as csv. The Pro version has more sharing and export options, but shouldn't be needed if your just tracking your own progress.

That said, the iPad is a fairly popular education device. There are a lot of apps for both students and teachers. You might find an app that does exactly what you need if you search the App Store for Student Planner, homework, and/or other education related terms. This would probably be easier than rolling your own, and give you more options as well.

One of the reasons that general database apps are so poorly represented in iOS is that there is almost always a dedicated app available that will do the job better (or at least well enough).

Most reactions

Latest posts