What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have an extra long Apple charging cable?

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea about the dollar store but I already placed my order :(

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maximum Lengths
According to USB.org, USB operating specifications limit the maximum length of the cable to 5 meters for full speed devices and 3 meters for any low speed devices. 5 meters is around 16 feet 5 inches, and 3 meters is around 9 feet 10 inches.
All those length issues are relevant only for the issue of data transmission (basically capacitance of the cable), and are irrelevant for the purposes of charging, which is DC. As long as the ipad isn't going to be drawing 5-10amps or more, and it isn't, there should be no problem with quite long lengths, 50feet even, depending on the gauge of the wires...

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you already ordered a USB extension (which btw, is what I use, and it works fine), but jest in case, I thought I'd give you (or anyone else) a link to MonoPrice: USB Cables

Monoprice should be anyone's go-to place for any cords/cables from computer, to tv, or anything else. Their quality is great, and their prices are hard to beat, and their selection is 2nd to none.

And btw, in case anybody thinks I'm spamming for them, I'm not, and actually have nothing to do with them. They're very well known in the A/V industry, and I was recommended to them a few years ago when I got my first HDTV

dirtydan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought two 6' iPad cables from Monoprice, total cost $5.01 to the house.
These cables are only 5 watt but they still charge while the iPad is in use, so I guess they will work as long as I don't need a quick charge when battery level gets way down.
Dan

Most reactions

Latest posts