What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have an extra long Apple charging cable?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If so, where did you get it from? I'm talking about 10+ feet. The Bluetooth keyboard really drains the battery and I wouldn't mind having the iPad plugged into the wall while using it, but the cable the comes with the charger isn't long enough.

Could I just get something like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F3U134-10-Extension-Cable-10-Feet/dp/B00001ZWXA[/ame]

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that is what extension cords are for. Just a plain old electrical extension cord, that when you don't need it you can unplug.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd rather not use the extension cord. Reason being, cheap extension cords look like crap whereas a white USB extension cord would look normal, if that makes sense. Plus I'd rather have the power block plugged into the wall instead of resting somewhere between the table and the wall....

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well then I think the one you have pictured should suit, unless you want it in white instead of the gray. I have a similar cable, in fact in white I think, that I use to locate my printers in a closet in the office. But it's at least 6 years old and I have no idea where I bought it.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like this.
Cables To Go USB Extension Cable - 26686 - Buy.com

You are only using it to charge. I don't think you'll notice that much of a problem with the voltage dropping over a 10 or 15 foot run. As I said, I have about 15 to 20 of cable between my computer and the printers and don't notice a problem. I do use self powered hubs to boost the signal.

Last edited:

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
Maximum Lengths
According to USB.org, USB operating specifications limit the maximum length of the cable to 5 meters for full speed devices and 3 meters for any low speed devices. 5 meters is around 16 feet 5 inches, and 3 meters is around 9 feet 10 inches.
Full Speed vs. Low Speed
Full speed devices are devices that typically require an external power supply and are sending and receiving larger amounts of data. Low speed devices can be powered by the USB connection itself. An example of a full speed or externally powered USB device would be an external hard drive. An example of a low speed or USB-powered device is a USB mouse or an MP3 player.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great, thanks. So I should assume I can get one of those 10ft white extensions since it is a full speed device...

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No prob. One never knows what kind of setup/needs people have, so I just threw out this product link that I found and saved a few weeks ago.

I haven't had the need for it yet either. But eventually I might get annoyed with how short my Apple AV cable set is and my iPad sits exposed on the fireplace while I output video to the tv. Or if I decide to use my Onkyo dock more with my iPhone/iPad, this would come in handy.

I wouldn't be able to solve those problems with just a USB extension cable.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should also add, in case you need one right away, I got a white USB M/F 5 footer at my local dollar store, and yes it is only a buck, im gonna look for it now, I never thought of just getting a USB extender to increase length of AC adaptor, I just bought some cheap ac adapters for ipad on ebay, only like 3 bucks each, but are longer than the ac adapter that came with ipad, but is strictly just ac adapter, cannot disconn. to be a usb cable like the one that comes with ipad..

Most reactions

Latest posts