What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does an iPad 3 support a Wireless N Router?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a friend who has Hughes Net and want's to install a wireless router so he can use his iPad at home.
My research indicates that the

Medialink Wireless NRouter - 802.11n - 150 Mbps -2.4 Ghz - NEW Design w/Internal Antenna (This router has the highest ratings onAmazon) is a good choice for Hughes Net but there is also a caution that not all computer support N type routers.

I know nothing about routers the one I have was installed by Comcast and is a Net-gear.
All I know about it is that if I unplug and force it to reset it usually fixes the problem. LOL

Would the iPad support this router or shouldI look for a G type router?

Maybe some one here has a suggestion for a router choice?
We plan on setting this up ourselves and know nothing about it.

Mike

Sorry about the bold type but I can't get it to change to regular.
I even exported it to Word and back but when I say Post it changes to be like this.

Last edited:

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the iPads support Dual Band N routers (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).
Iphones support 2.4Ghz N but not 5Ghz N routers.

rpgarrett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. The iPad3 supports the wireless N standard (802.11n). While it's true not all computers may not connect to this router at Wireless N speeds (150Mbps), this router is backward compatible with computers equipped with 802.11b/g devices. Those computers will still connect to the router but not at Wireless N speed. The connection speed of those computers will depend on the wireless adapter. For example, a computer with a 802.11g wireless adapter will connect at 54Mbps max versus 150Mbps with a 802.11n adapter.

OlRedHair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rpgarrett said:
Yes. The iPad3 supports the wireless N standard (802.11n). While it's true not all computers may not connect to this router at Wireless N speeds (150Mbps), this router is backward compatible with computers equipped with 802.11b/g devices. Those computers will still connect to the router but not at Wireless N speed. The connection speed of those computers will depend on the wireless adapter. For example, a computer with a 802.11g wireless adapter will connect at 54Mbps max versus 150Mbps with a 802.11n adapter.

Will you notice much difference doing things like email and reading forums using an n vs a g router.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Just FYI, I am with Comcast and was using their provided NetGear router also and had to constantly unplug it to get it working (a couple times a week). I finally got fed up and got an Airport Extreme. I've been using it for awhile now and have not had to reset it once yet. It is also slightly faster and has much better range.

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad3 wirks with b/g and n. Just be sure your peripherals do, too. I had to ditch my four-year-old internet radio because it wouldn't support n.

dahauss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does but only up to 64mb speed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most n routers that I know of also support the lower speed protocols, so I'm suprised someone had to ditch a device simply because of going to a faster router.

Most reactions