Documents to go? Pagely?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by mhaskell, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mhaskell

mhaskell iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re either worth the money?

2. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Documents to Go is an excellent application suite. Not perfect because no MS Office emulation is but it's well worth the purchase price.

I'm not familiar with "Pagely." If you meant "Pages," it's a reduced function version of Apple's word processing application for the Mac. And while it reads MS Word documents, that is not its primary function. I've never used Pages but my impression is that it's a relatively simple word processing package with its "sizzle" lying mainly in the ability to combine words and images in an attractive manner.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    Well from your thread title, I'm assuming that you mean Pages, which is part of Apple's iWorks (i.e. Pages, Numbers, & Keynote) - correct?

First, you really must tell us what your needs are? These Apple apps are quite inexpensive, so the main issue is whether one or several will satisfy your requirements?

Second, check out the second post of the thread HERE - there are links to some excellent comparison comments on these various 'office' type apps.

Finally, I have iWorks on my iPad2 - Pages is a Word simulator but w/ much more limited features, so again you need to give us more information as to what you are after in a word processor (or other) program(s). Looking forward to hearing from you - :)

4. mhaskell

mhaskell iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys - very helpful. I guess I rushed through that post :).

My apologies - I did mean "pages." I think my question regarding that app was answered. For now, I have a PC. If this is primarily a MAC app, it won't be best for me.

As to the rest, I am making a serious attempt at using the iPad for most everything. I use online storage, and don't require major processing power for daily tasks. However, while GoodReader and Evernote are great, I feel like I keep adding apps so that I can string them together to do some basic word processing, attaching, emailing and uploading.

I'm not sure whether docs to go reduces this or not. As for reading, GoodReader does fine. I don't need a Microsoft based app just for that.

I'm basically trying to integrate GTD into everything and reduce wasteful steps.

Thanks again.

5. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I think you've diagnosed your problem and your effort rather well. The bottom line is that you'll have to "string together" a set of apps to meet your requirements. That realization exposes both the strengths and weaknesses of the iPad. As may old daddy used to say, "When you see dogs dancing, you don't ask how well they do it. It's amazing that they do it at all."

6. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158 / 0
    Quick Office Pro HD is on sale right now for like $12 bucks. It's usually $20 so that's one worth looking at too. All of the office apps seem to have some key strengths and weaknesses that each buyer will have to sort through and decide what they must have and what they can live without. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one to get. Every time I talk myself into one I never go through with it because I worry that it's not the right one for me. One of these days..... One of these days..... :)

7. CureMS

CureMS iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use MS Office 2010 and the problem with QuickOffice is that it says it is only compatible with versions to 2008. Based on the reviews I chose to go with Pages. So far, so good.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  8. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158 / 0
    Excellent choice, Pages is a solid app. It's on my very short list as well.