What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documents to Go or Office2 HD

omro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents to Go is $11.99
Office2 HD is $7.99

Primarily I want word processing and spreadsheet capabilities, I have very little interest in presentations, but might be useful one day. If the Documents to Go has vastly superior word processing capabilities, I would choose that anyway.

Opinions?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Gonna give my usual vote for d2g....

It has been around over 10 years, which in the mobile app world is like saying you watched the Big Bang.....

It is the ONLY thing on the iPad that handles the latest '07 office files....

It is awesome when used with a cloud app...

It's not great to look at, can be confusing, far from perfect.... but the best at least for now...

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
If you can wait, Quickoffice says it will be out soon too. I think either quickoffice or D2G will be best, but not sure which will end up better in the near term. Both will likely have major upgrades in the next couple months after the initial version comes out.

kvyoung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both of the apps listed and Docs to Go is the better of the two at the present time. As others have said, it integrates very well with cloud services like Google Docs, DropBox, etc. and supports Office 2007 formats.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Thanks all. Am trying out Documents to Go

As I said before, d2g is the best available.... but for $12 don't expect the full MS office experience. You can do a lot with it, and it at least for me is 100% compatible (and that is most important) but it can be clumsy to work with. Futz around with it, and it will make more since......

claborne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tested both ... Docs To Go

I tested both applications (means I hosed out extra dollars).

I wrote a review of my experience at: dreamvent.blogspot.com/2011/04/cloud-docs-on-ipad.htm

Executive Summary: Docs To Go wins the day.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
claborne said:
I tested both applications (means I hosed out extra dollars).

I wrote a review of my experience at: dreamvent.blogspot.com/2011/04/cloud-docs-on-ipad.htm

Executive Summary: Docs To Go wins the day.

Unless I am doing something wrong can't get to the link

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'm an office2hd user - brilliant for excel. best ive used so far.
pretty poor for word docs, purely because, and whatever format you import/export, it has problems saving and recognising your page layout and formatting style. keeps messing things up (like address positioning and indenting). very very frustrating.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't use Doc 2 Go so can't comment.

I use Office 2 HD.

It is fine for Excel.

But bit of frustration for Word. Main drawback is that it will maintain WYSIWIG format information BUT it will lose Word style information.

For example, if a word is defined as Heading 1 in Word, that information is lost when it is saved in Office2 - although visually it will appear the same.

Formatting is some tables is totally screwed.

As a result table of contents etc. is not supported in Office2.

electron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear Office2 HD is the only app that can import images whereas the other two big names Docs2Go & QuickOffice cannot. Is this true? I need to mount photos onto my Word documents.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Can't comment on others, but yes, importing pics works nice in office2hd.

My overriding comment to make Office2hd work great, is to use it exclusively. it really does do letters and excel superbly, but on it's own. Don't expect to seamlessly integrate it and swap files back and forth with other applications. This is my experience.

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i always get docs 2 go. it has great syncing ability with google and dropbox and others. never tried office2 tho

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using Docs to Go Premium. While I like the Dropbox implementation,it doesn't mean I'm 100% happy with it.

The PowerPoint component needs lots of work, as it doesn't retain desktop formatting, but it's better than the other office suites so far.

I've not tried Office2 but from what I've read of it, it's not for me at this time.

Since I'm usually only editing office documents on my iPad and not creating them (except for Word docs), I can't speak to the picture insertion features.

It seems they all have weaknesses, it's just a matter of which weaknesses you can live with. And don't waste your time on Numbers, Pages, or Keynote; the worst waste of $30.00 I ever spent!

Most reactions

Latest posts