What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documents/spreadsheets

belfix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Advice please..what's the best document/spreadsheet creator/editor that is msword/msexcel compatable?. At the moment I use a free version of something that doesn't allow editing etc. I would like to use the same on both my ipad and android phone.

starwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Advice please..what's the best document/spreadsheet creator/editor that is msword/msexcel compatable?. At the moment I use a free version of something that doesn't allow editing etc. I would like to use the same on both my ipad and android phone.

I like quick office pro HD

kennykopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that GoodReader does not display MS Excel cell fill colors. So bought DocumentsPro. And discovered that it doesn't either. Does Office Pro display cell fill colors and provide the same editing as Excel? Thanks.

kennykopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that GoodReader does not display MS Excel cell fill colors. So bought DocumentsPro. And discovered that it doesn't either. Does Office Pro display cell fill colors and provide the same editing as Excel? Thanks.

I just bought Quick Office Pro HD and discovered that it displays the cell fill colors in some spreadsheets but not others. I have no idea what the distinction is yet.

Any ideas?

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the same problem... Trying to find a decent enough spreadsheet app that will import Microsoft spreadsheet files.
The trouble is retaining formatting which if I am correct is stripped when updated and saved back.

All my spreadsheet files are kept in Dropbox. I normally edit them on my Laptop but would dearly love to be able to do this on the iPad.

kennykopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I got from GoodReader support today:

Hi Ken,

Sorry you're having this trouble. Unlike with PDF and TXT files, for which we've written our own viewers, we use iOS's built-in viewing engine for MS Office files. This engine sometimes shows MS Office files incorrectly and in some cases it's not able to open certain MS Office files. Any changes or updates to this behavior would be associated with an iOS update—unfortunately it's currently beyond GoodReader's control.

For all MS Office files, not all parts of those files are embedded into the file itself, the original program may be performing a task to display information in that file. For example, a sum calculation in an Excel document must be executed by Excel—GoodReader does not have the ability to perform that calculation, so you will likely see an empty field in that case.

Currently the best solution would be to convert your MS Office files to PDFs. In this case you will solve the incorrect appearance problem, plus you'll get the ability to use our Find Text in PDF files feature and other PDF-specific features, like PDF Annotations, Highlights and Markups.

Let me know if you need anything else!

starwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it does do fill color and does most of the function excel does. I haven't done much excel on here, but I do believe there is a user manual on their website

starwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought Quick Office Pro HD and discovered that it displays the cell fill colors in some spreadsheets but not others. I have no idea what the distinction is yet.

Any ideas?

Every spreadsheet I threw it seem to do the color fill not sure why some of your don't?

kennykopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every spreadsheet I threw it seem to do the color fill not sure why some of your don't?

Well, they're not mine for one thing. It may have to do with the way they are made and saved. And it may have to do with Apple iOS. In any case, it appears it is not a user issue. I will continue to research and report anything constructive I find.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found an answer for my needs.... Have a look at CloudOn.
It loaded my Microsoft files well.
The only issue is does not save back to Dropbox. The answer is to email a worked on file back to yourself then open it in Dropbox (or with whatever app you choose).

kennykopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent tip, Beards! I loaded Cloud On and it is correctly displaying the files other programs couldn't. Edits too. Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts