What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documents onto ipad

Bhavnish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had my ipad for about one month

I want to be able to import documents from a USB flash drive or my Mac......

Currently I am using dropbax and then importing into office 2HD, this is a little long winded...

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can actually transfer documents from your Mac using iTunes but I have't done it myself so I don't know if it works flawlessly or not.

I use Dropbox. It keeps me organized and I like the program a lot. I just don't want to fiddle with extra accessories.

OP
B

Bhavnish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was told that the camera connection kit can import docs into the iPad via apps..... Not sure how true this is?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What types of documents? If you have Office 2 Go or some other office program, if you click on the apps tab of iTunes sync section and scroll all the way down you should see a list of programs that will allow you to add directly from iTunes. For example, with Good Reader I just click the program name, then browse, then add any files I want that Good Reader supports. Same with Docs2Go.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I don't believe the camera kit will allow the connection of a thumb drive. From what I've read, the camera kit doesn't supply power like a computer's USB port...so something like a thumb drive which needs to use power to work will not work. Something like a digicam is able to work because it has it's own power to stay on (like a battery).

Someone on the Apple forums suggested that a self powered external hard drive might work though, but there was no definite answer in the thread I was reading.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buy Goodreader(invaluable for $1) and get it installed on ipad.

Click on you device in itunes and open apps tab.

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a file sharing section.

Click on Goodreader and it will list the associated files.

Open your docs folder and drag the files you want to the list.

This is how it works in Windows.i assume it would be the same for Mac....but then again you probably cant drag and drop with the MacOS.

edit-what he said ^^^^^^^

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is must have software, but if you want to edit Word, and Excel files, drop the cash on Docs To Go. It's got a pretty good PDF viewer too.

There's also a free or cheap program called DocTool that might be useful to you. I deleted it because it duplicated the functions I already have with D2Go and GoodReader but it was fine for what it did.

Most reactions

Latest posts