What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you turn off your iPad?

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The title says it all.... Do you ever turn off your iPad, of course from time to time it requires a reboot, but how often do you shut it down/restart it on your own.....

I've owned mine since Saturday afternoon, and it hasn't been turned off yet :)

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my iPad1 right now. I've owned it since its release date and never turned it off.

I've owned my 3 for a couple weeks. I haven't turned it off and don't see any reason to do so. Why would one want to turn off an iPad?

Last edited:

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No never had found the need to ive done a couple times do to issues but overall not just cause I wanted to

Sent from jailbroken iPad 2 using iPF app

FunkatronJive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it bad to turn it off? I turn mine off every night (same as my iPhone usually)....... I have two kids to take care of so if I turn it on while they are napping or playing I will usually turn it off after since I know I may not get back to using it later....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn't do it any damage. Good chance it will charge quicker if you use the off time to plug it in to an outlet. It's good to do a reboot every now and then to tidy up memory, so just look at it as an extra long boot up.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it bad to turn it off? I turn mine off every night (same as my iPhone usually)....... I have two kids to take care of so if I turn it on while they are napping or playing I will usually turn it off after since I know I may not get back to using it later....

What if you needed to make an emergency call at night? With the phone off your ability to do so is impeded.

I never turn my phone off (unless I'm getting on an airplane or resetting for some reason). I've turned my iPad off only if I thought I needed to reset it for some reason (or on an airplane). Otherwise, there is no reason to turn them off.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turn it off on an airplane during takeoff and landing, but outside of that it is on 24/7 unless of course it needs a reboot.

FunkatronJive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never thought about emergency calls. I figure I would just use the house phone but if that was out I would be in trouble. I just thought it was better for the device to not be on 24/7

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a shutdown every couple weeks to make sure it goes through a reboot procedure on occassion.

dustydas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in agreement with the other posts but wanted to mention that most of you probably bought a cover that will turn it off, "temporarily" or puts it in "stand by" mode when you close it. It keeps you from using power while it is closed, at least it appears to save your battery power while it is closed. You can hear it click when you close the cover which I think, indicates it is in stand by mode.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time my iPad or iPhone power off is every month or so when I let the battery drain out completely or when I need to reboot for some reason.

mandapandalove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the ipad one and never rebooted. Only when I felt I had to. And I only had my new ipad 3 for a week and I haven't shut it off. I just like having it on standby when I want. it's always on within 2 seconds.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in agreement with the other posts but wanted to mention that most of you probably bought a cover that will turn it off, "temporarily" or puts it in "stand by" mode when you close it. It keeps you from using power while it is closed, at least it appears to save your battery power while it is closed. You can hear it click when you close the cover which I think, indicates it is in stand by mode.

It has an auto mode which turns the screen off after some times. I keep mind on 2 minutes unless I am giving a presentation or lecture on it.

Qwho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turn mine off all the time if I'm not going to be using it and I'm not home what's the point of having it on hour after hour day after day? It is ready for use so quickly

Most reactions

Latest posts