What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you, should I, always update apps?

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The place where it warns you about apps needing updating used to awe me - it was like having unanswered letters and felt like a standing reproof, I couldn't bear to see more than two or three there. Now I am more relaxed and thirty there dont bug me. But then I'll have a blitz on them and update twenty.

I update them if they sound like something that could concern me, like 'bug fix' or 'stability improvement' etc. but some of them only say something optimised for I-watch or I-phone - and I don't have either. So am I wasting memory if I update these? Is there any point? Can I get rid of these warnings? Does it matter one way or the other?

Related point - also outstanding, being ignored and not updated I have ios8.3 in 'Settings'. The reason is last (or so) time I updated iOS there was some problem I don't remember but I then saw discussions on the net saying don't do it, it has bugs not yet ironed out.

So i wondered, is it now safe to update 8.3?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
App updates can optimize the app to run better on updated iOS versions as well as to fix bugs that cause problems. If you regularly use an app, it's best to keep it updated. For example, the old version of YouTube will not work with certain iOS versions.

The only way to get rid of the update notices is to update the apps.

How well iOS 8.3 works on your iPad depends on which iPad you own. Some users report problems but most have no problems at all when updating. In addition, iOS 8.4 is due to be released in the next week or two, which will address some of the problems that were present in iOS 8.3.

Some users report fewer problems if they update through iTunes, rather than OTA. If you decide to do it this way, make sure to back up your iPad just before starting the update, in case there are any problems requiring a restore. After the update is finished, it can take a while for everything to settle down. Give it a while before you decide it's not working properly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are already on iOS 8, any version, iOS 8.3 should be an improvement. Whether that's enough of an improvement for you to see, who knows. Depends.

While some people did have problems with iOS 8 (especially iPad 2 owners), and iOS 8.1 got yanked almost immediately for issues with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the updates since then have been a steady progression of small improvements. This is typical of iOS releases. Well, the iOS 8.1 problem wasn't typical, but the steady improvements over the course of smaller updates is.

iOS 8.4 will introduce a few new features, mostly the new Music app. It won't hurt to wait a couple weeks and see what people with the same iPad model as yourself say.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I have i-pad 2. Since 8.3 is soon to be overtaken I shall do as you say and wait a bit.​

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, if you're going to update then you should do 8.3 which is a known good update. Apple only signs updates for a limited time. That means when 8.4 comes out it won't be long before the only choice will be to update to 8.4; if there is something you don't like about it you'll be stuck on your current version until an update you do like comes along.

Now, if you are still on iOS 7 (you don't say) then waiting means less. It's a big leap either way. It's even possible that iOS 9 will be the update you want. There's hope on that front.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, i would probably not have worked that out for myself. Now i have updated it to 8.3 and didn't note what I had before, I remember getting to 8.1something.

So take home message would be when update comes along, wait, watch but not too long.

Most reactions