What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you put it to sleep/wake or shut off??

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just throw in my 2c....

At the start of the year, I had my iPad1 on for 9 weeks without switching off... No performance issues.

And, although we don't have a jailbreak for the iPad2 yet, when it arrives there us a lovelly little tweak called NoLockScreen wnich gives you that "instant on" smartcover feel without the cover or magnets. I've had this on my iPad1 for ages... Works great with my Moleskine case.

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just throw in my 2c....

At the start of the year, I had my iPad1 on for 9 weeks without switching off... No performance issues.

And, although we don't have a jailbreak for the iPad2 yet, when it arrives there us a lovelly little tweak called NoLockScreen wnich gives you that "instant on" smartcover feel without the cover or magnets. I've had this on my iPad1 for ages... Works great with my Moleskine case.

How do make nolockscreen turn on when you open your case, I can't figure it out?
Thank you for all your help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ctsluder said:
How do make nolockscreen turn on when you open your case, I can't figure it out?

No, it doesn't do that, sorry if I misled. I still need to hit the power button. It just skips the slide to unlock for you.
But I do also use screendimmer to blank the screen rather than auto lock, so a finger on the screen wakes it up if not in sleep mode...
Best combo I can come up with until I get my iPad2 and smartcover!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your iPad pass coded? If so I think that overrides for rather obvious reasons. If not try looking in settings > general > iPad cover lock/unlock.

It should be on by default but it may have been turned off. It it's on I'm not sure what's going on. Im guessing you have done a full shut down for a full 10 to 20 seconds?

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ctsluder said:

No, it doesn't do that, sorry if I misled. I still need to hit the power button. It just skips the slide to unlock for you.
But I do also use screendimmer to blank the screen rather than auto lock, so a finger on the screen wakes it up if not in sleep mode...
Best combo I can come up with until I get my iPad2 and smartcover!

Oh ok that's what I have been doing.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I put mine on airplane mode during the the day while away and at night. Bluetooth and wifi can't drain the battery in that mode so it's ready for me when I pick it up.

Last edited:

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'v been turning off my iPad every night, to save battery. I think I'll leave it in sleep mode tonight though, to see how the battery holds up. (The long startup time is annoying).

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just close the smart cover and leave it overnight. Went to bed last night with battery showing 93%; woke up this morning and it was showing 94%. I have Ping disabled; Bluetooth off; mail accounts manual fetch.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just close the smart cover and leave it overnight. Went to bed last night with battery showing 93%; woke up this morning and it was showing 94%. I have Ping disabled; Bluetooth off; mail accounts manual fetch.

Same here, but I dont have the smart cover. I dont see any drop leaving it in sleep mode overnight :eek:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could always carry a couple of magnets in your pocket....:)

Tim

I just added a small magnet into the cover of my Targus VuScape case. Works just like Smart Cover, but with better all around protection. Has a nice stand support action also. I made a slit and now the magnet is under the inner fabric so I won't scratch of get in the way. Works well

OP
J

JayCin81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could always carry a couple of magnets in your pocket....:)

Tim

I just added a small magnet into the cover of my Targus VuScape case. Works just like Smart Cover, but with better all around protection. Has a nice stand support action also. I made a slit and now the magnet is under the inner fabric so I won't scratch of get in the way. Works well

How far down is the magnet positioned?

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JayCin81 said:
I was wondering how many of you shut down your iPad every night or just put it to sleep. I use it every night for about 3 to 4 hours, but I don't use it during the day while I'm at work. I generally just shut it down every night.

Should I put it to sleep or shutdown? Pros vs. Cons?

Your thoughts?

I usually shut it down at night after plugging in the charger.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts