What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you print MORE or LESS TOTAL (from PC, Macs, iPad, etc) now that you have an iPad?

Do you PRINT More or Less from your PC, Mac, iPad, etc. now that you have an iPad?

• I print about the same number of pages

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I print a lot less. (46-100% fewer pages)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I print a little less. (1-45% fewer pages)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I print a little more. (1-45% more pages)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I print a lot more. (46-100% more pages)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed I print at LEAST half as much as I used to at Work and home now that I can take my documents with me on my iPad instead of piles of papers.

printing from iPad is now available, but I don't find many practical times where I want/need to print

Does the ability to move, read and edit documents on your iPad wherever you go, plus read email, use e-coupons/boarding passes, etc. and then upload, send, collaborate with those documents make you less likely to print?

How have your printing habits changed?

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not just printing less, but overall I use paper less at work now than ever. I have one page of written stuff on my desk, including internal course notes, where I'd have had a quarter of a notebooks worth by now.

dvmweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I do is use my iPad as a "music book" so I don't have to print sheets out. I like Pages but am considering the pdf reader mentioned elswhere.

OP
R

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good points. I've noticed at the office I tend to print less, and just take meeting notes on my iPad, presentations stay digital and even plane boarding passes and itineraries don't need printed anymore.

RNkitKat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still having to print out research papers to turn into my clinical instructors, but am referring to my notes from lectures much more through my iPad than by printing them out. So far, I'm enjoying it.

OP
R

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting......
Here is a stunning paper usage statistics from a top university. Students from the university of size ~8000 students and no restriction on printing, consumed ~10 million sheets of printed materials (1 million dollar worth of paper) in an academic year. This is equivalent to cutting ~1000 trees. One can easily imagine how much colleges can benefit from using a device like iPad.

OP
R

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paper Consumption in the US

From 1991 to 2000 consumption of office paper went up 27%
From 2000 to 2009 consumption of office paper went down 27%
What do you think is driving this?

OP
R

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed at my company executives are printing less now that they have iPads. No need to print emails or calendars or powerpoints or meeting agendas.....it's all staying digital!

OP
R

repentharlequin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cloud sync of documents

Do you think with Apple enabling their "office productivity" suite such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc to sync documents to all of a users' devices will help reduce the need to print?

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I make presentations to doctors everyday, and find myself using my iPad and emailing the presentation rather then going to kinkos and making a million copies.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My paper printing has declined tremendously. I used to print out documents to read during my commute. I would also email the documents to myself. These documents were typically PDF files or Word documents. I don't typically use a smartphone and hauling the laptop around was tiring, and sometimes I could not get a seat near a plug if I needed to recharge.

The iPad, along with Dropbox, GoodReader (and iannotate), Simplenote and Evernote have changed all that tremendously. I also now make more notes to send via email to coworkers who are working on shared projects. There may be other combinations of apps that are just as effective, but this is what mainly works for me now.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I print the same as before, everything I have to print cannot be done on ipad, so for me it has not changed the amount to be printed.

Most reactions