What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you prefer ebooks or paper/hardback and why?

Ebook or paper/Hardback

• Total voters

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
You know what's a really cool word? Shade. Soothing, isn't it? Has the "sh" at the beginning that connotes restful quiet, that "ade" at the end reminding you of cool drinks in tall glasses. And really, isn't it the only reason to keep trees around? Great environment for an iPad, shade.

Rofl..Dude you are funny :) but totally agree!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
The iPad doesn't work well in sunlight, no matter the print setting (white on black, black on white, sepia). And polarized lenses making the display useless as well. Not an issue for me since I've never sat in direct sun to read, and file such behavior in my "people are weird" column.

You know what's a really cool word? Shade. Soothing, isn't it? Has the "sh" at the beginning that connotes restful quiet, that "ade" at the end reminding you of cool drinks in tall glasses. And really, isn't it the only reason to keep trees around? Great environment for an iPad, shade.

LOL. I live in the South and can't imagine sitting in the sun to read so its not been an issue for me. I read at our pool in the shade of the pool house, on our porch the same or under a tree. I see the commercial showing people sitting at the pool in the sun reading and think its just not a good thing to do.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mginzelk said:
About to purchase my iPad! Wondering how the iPad is working for you as an e reader in sunlight ... Hoping to be able to eliminate packing books in my suitcase when we travel!

I use the iPad outdoors all the time. I did put a Brando antiglare filter on, to cut down on the excessive reflection on the glass, and the auto-brightness helps as well, but otherwise don't have a problem using it outside.

Joanie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also like both - for different reasons.

eBooks for straight reading, i.e. novels, but I LOVE books for inspiration such as cooking, design, decorating, garden, etc. and I'll keep buying those.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I collect autographed books. Nothing can replace the physical book for that. It's something the author held in his hands and personally signed for me. A scanned signature in an eBook just isn't the same.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From a functional standpoint, I much prefer electronic books. Unfortunately, i find them more expensive, difficult to share when I am done, and generally get the perception that I don't OWN the copy that I purchase. If the electronic version were less expensive than hard copy, I would be happy to live with the limitations, but I resent paying more and getting less.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If book stores were smart they would turn themselves into ebook venues. Where you could obviously buy ebooks, but they have wifi and comfy couches. Where they sell food and drinks. Kind of like a coffee shop but with more ambience and the wifi tech to handle larger groups of people. That way they could still promote authors and books etc

This is actually an excellent idea!

I prefer ebooks over printed material. Ereaders allow for carrying thousands of books, unlimited and non-damaging bookmarks/highlighting, and they last longer - I have a paper book that is falling apart from so much page turning.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As much as I love my kindle reader and use it a lot, there is something about a physical book that still interests me. Maybe as another poster stated how you don't feel that you own the digital versions unlike the physical book? Similar to a digital picture and a printed picture - one feels more significant, more real than the other. For convenience and ease of use its hard to beat my kindle though or any other good digital reader.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not wedded to one or the other. There are things I like about both, and I remain flexible.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ebooks for portability / accessibility and hard cover books to save in my bookcase as a collectible. Books are forever even if you don't get to read them all. I would love to have a full library of hard cover books for guests and myself to read at my leisure.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64FB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing in favour of regular books is that you'll never have to stop reading, just when the story gets real interesting, because the battery needs charging.

GKG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Screen on our iPad 3 is just amazing. I will read off of that, but I still prefer books. I print out PC stuff and read it on paper.

Most reactions

Latest posts